Pelmet with contrast bottom edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelmet with contrast bottom edge

I posted a question onto the end of an old discussion on this topic (2013) but that hasnt appeared in latest posts so...

Lots of great advice here, does anyone have anything to add to this discussion or any update on the method to be used. I have a pelmet like this to do & was planning to use backtack strip - my concern is whether the two fabrics will look as though there is a step or slight lip to the upper one? Any further advise appreciated. I'll be using an open ish weave fabric (cotton/linen).
    Thank you!
    KarenS

There will be a a slight step between fabrics but not so much that it'll look odd - You can also use additional polyester wadding to mask the stop, or flat piping ti disguise the transition. To be honest, and my opinion is that there are two different fabrics and unless your machine sew the two together, a slight step is acceptable. I actually like to see the transition main fabric to bottom border.
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Schuhby, your input is appreciated.
      KarenS

Comment

You could even accentuate that 'step' by using two layers of backtack, or padding out the contrast strip.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Yes I had wondered about that but the customer is looking for a smooth look!
          KarenS

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	contrast pelmet folded.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	129922

Maybe too late...but is the bottom of the pelmet straight? I've added a contrast band across a pelmet successfully by seaming the contrast onto the main first, then treating as one when attaching to the face of the pelmet (the face is attached to the pelmet board with velcro). With accurate measuring, seaming and careful work when attaching the fabric to the face ply you can get an even finish.

When I seam the contrast on I take the edge of it to the bottom of the pelmet board (i.e. all the contrast is a double thickness on top of the main fabric) then there is no 'step' or visible seam allowance from the face. This was two faux silks so might be harder to achieve if you're using different fabrics.
            Last edited by Louise; 20th February 2018, 10:01. Reason: added photo
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

• kls
              kls commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks Louise, That looks fantastic. I'm not sure it will work with the fabric I'm going to use as there is quite a lot of movement in it but I think I'll try it on a sample to see how it behaves. Job postponed til next week. I'll let you know how I get on...
          Working...
          X