Joining seams on wide furniture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining seams on wide furniture

I am making a loose cover for a 2 seater with 2 back cushions, for the inside back which need 2 widths of fabric, I am thinking of joining the seams in the middle as they will be hidden by the cushions. Also there will be a skirt with pleats at each corner and also in the middle on the front and on the back of the cover. My question is where would you put the seams on the apron when joining fabric, in the middle to match the cental pleat in the skirt, or seams on either side of a central panel?
    Regards

Andrea

Re: Joining seams on wide furniture

Hi Adria,

It will depend on several factors. i.e. whether the fabric is patterned or plain, whether the original cover had a continuous skirt or whether it was split to follow the idea of the two cushions on the seat and sofa back.

Comment

Hi Jules

The fabric has a large pattern on it, nearly identical to the original. The orignal cover was joined in the middle but not pattern matched and it had a knife pleated skirt on.
      Regards

Andrea

Comment

Hi,
        It is a matter of choice. Whether you think the style and the fabric look better with the seam in the middle (I assume by apron you mean front band), or whether to have one central panel and join on side pieces. With a 2 seater, those end pieces are going to be quite small, and may get in the way of the tuck in and so on, so I think I would run all the seams in the middle.

I dont think it really matters how the original was done, especially if it was upholstered, rather than loose covered.

Hope this helps.
        Regards
        Pen
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen, that has been a big help, I will go with the central seam. It is so reassuring to have a second opinion.
          Regards

Andrea

Comment

Working...
          X