Arm Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Covers

I have been asked to do a pair of arm covers for the first time. How do you finish the bottoms of the covers? I am thinking of doing a double 2cm turn up, mitring the corners and hand sewing.
    Regards

Andrea

Re: Arm Covers

I have seen several sets of these supplied by sofa manufacturers and they all seem to have machined hems......hand sewn would be nicer though.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Could you line them, using the bagging out method so that there is no stitching on show? They might wear a bit better too.

Comment

I did some of these last year and did a double hem by machine, applying a gimp trim border about 1 inch inside this by machine also. They had to be machine washable as the house still has kids and dogs in it, and to be honest I didn't see the point in spending loads of time hand stitching something that would get such a lot of rough treatment on a daily basis - I had more confidence in the machine stitching lasting. I DID pay a lot of attention at getting a perfect thread match though, so it looked as good as possible.

Comment

Morning Bluebell,

I always machine mine if I can. Sometimes I have trouble going over the piping at the front but the machine does get there in the end. I don't see the point in handstitching, especially when they are going to be washed and used and abused! Have had a look at many manufactuers and they are all machined too.
          Kindest Regards,
          Karen

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. I have decided to go with the machined hems for additional strength.
            Regards

Andrea

Comment

Working...
            X