Circular skirt for stool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular skirt for stool

I am making a cover for small round stool. It has a foam top which is to be piped, about 2" deep. The skirt was then to be gathered onto the top - no problem. However, when the fabric arrived it is far to heavy to gather and so i want to make a circular skirt that is full at the base but tapers at the top so that there are no gathers where it joins the piped top. Do I make up a circular piece of fabric and cut out a cirlcle in the centre = to the circumference of the piped top(less allowance) or do I join my widths as normal and cut a curved shape out of the top? Any ideas would be welcome. I am sure there is an easy way, but my mind has gone blank and my back has just given way!!

Julie
    Julie

Re: Circular skirt for stool

Hi Julie
    I would cut the fabric as a circle. The easiest way to do this is with the radius. i.e. the distance from the centre of the table top to the finished length (the floor). Use this measurement with a piece of string and a pencil. Secure the string at one end and with a pencil secured at the other draw a complete circle.This will give you an overall pattern then to cut out the centre circle use the radius again. The centre of the top of the table to the distance you want the depth of the top piece. Do the same process again using the string and draw a smaller circle inside the larger one making sure the string is secured to the same centre point,that should give you the pattern for the skirt piece and the pattern for the top piece. Hope that makes sense? That is just they way I would approach it.
    Maybe some other members will do it differently.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Julie, do you have the stool? That would help you a lot. I would do it as Penny suggests but if you can fold the fabric in half and then again into four, you can put your pencil at the centre fold point and draw from there....if that makes sense. I must admit that I would make a dummy one from lining just to make sure as there will be the top section, and if I read it correctly, the 2'' insert section and then the skirt. A dummy run might just iron out any problems.

Enid

Comment

Yes I do have the stool and I will try both ways with some lining first, as suggested, then use this as a pattern. Many thanks.

Julie
        Julie

Comment

Suggest you also staystitch the top edge of the skirt (which will effectively be like a circular skirt you wear) as this raw edge will be cut mostly on the cross - this'll help stop it stretching when you come to fit it to the seat part. Hope this makes sense!
          Jackie

Comment

Working...
          X