My 1st time... Loose Covers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st time... Loose Covers...

I'm about to take the plunge and make a set of loose covers for my tetrad couch.. I am going to use a set of old covers to take a template from so will hopefully fly through the porject.. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: My 1st time... Loose Covers...

Go slowly to begin!
    Just follow the pattern of the old one.
    Are you using plain fabric? Easier as no pattern matching to worry about.
    Make sure you use upholstery quality thread!
    You'll fly through it!

Comment

Good luck Schuhby.
      Personally i would never use old covers for template cos they may have been washed or just pulled out of shape with wear. Other major is make sure you leave at least 10cm around seat, inside back & arms.
      I always start my loose-covers by measuring & marking the height of the skirt less 1.5cm up from the floor all round. I pin half my cover & smooth the seat &inside back out & mark where on the fabric the inside arms meet the inside back. Also I mark the width of the outside back.Then remove & use that as my templates. Pin the fabric wrong side out so u can easily mark with pencil... lasts longer than taylors chalk!
      I hope all this makes sense!
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

I see where you're coming from Mairi, but my covers are very baggy when first put on, you then have to tuck them in around the base and arms to straighten them out - They aren't the fitted type. However, I will make a template from the old cover and then make up a sample cover and adjust as required.. If all this fails Mairi, I'll send them to you!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Yes that is what traditional loose-covers should be like. As for sending me to do...it would be a pleasure, I don't get enough that's why i end up making curtains & blinds. Also when I am cutting my seam allowances I cut them about 3/4" that way when sewing wth 1/2" seams it gives plenty for movement. Remember to pipe the back of the outside arm rather than the side of the outside back where ure zip will be so it won't be seen from the side. I think that is enough tips for today. Any other q's regarding this please give a shout
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

I will be calling on you Mairi before long! The back has buttons rather than a zip.. I'll post pictures when I've done them...

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Good Luck Philip, let us know how you get on.
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

The other reason for not using the old cover as a template is that the furniture itself changes with wear, the arms won't be the same as each other. I fit each chair as I find it, they don't mind having pins stuck in them which is why it's easier than dressmaking.

Comment

Hi
                  just founds this website maybe it will help

http://slipcover.vrya.net./

Marela

Comment

Hi Marela

Thats a very useful step by step way to do slip covers, well worth keeping for future use.

Thanks for finding that and sharing it with us.

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Working...
                    X