loose covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose covers

i am going to start on some loose covers this morning, now, cant put it off any longer.....aaarrggghhhh.....its a cover for a 2 seater, 3 seater and all the seat and back cushions.......
    wish me luck....
    sharon

Re: loose covers

Good luck Sharon, hope it all goes well Keep us posted

Comment

I'm sure it will be fine. It takes longer to pin fit and trim than it does to sew up (apart from making the piping!!) so it gets faster towards the end!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

i got to say its going better than i expected. I made myself be positive about it, its no good fighting against it. Its amazing the diference that has made. I have got to the stage where i have to make and attach the skirt which is piped.
        One thing i have noticed is that my teeth and gums are really aching.................i keep clenching my teeth without realising half the time, thats how much i am concentrating i guess.....oh well having a little break then back to it.
        sharon

Comment

Oh dear Sharon you will have jaws like steel lol! Maybe consider taking up facial yoga

Silly thing is,,,, I do it too and wonder why I have a headache at the end of the day.

Comment

I've realised I either grit my teeth and make my jaw ache or stick my tongue out....must be a concentration thing.....glad I'm not alone!
            Jane

Comment

I'm a teeth grinder........ have jaws like steel and sad teeth.

Well done for getting on with this project Sharon!

Comment

looks like teeth gritting is common occurance with curtain makers....
                started on the main cover for the 3 seater first, going along nicely, and then i hit a big problem that i hadnt envisaged.......when i came to attaching the skirt sections around the bottom i realised that my machine just woudnt hack it..............it needed to go thru at least 6 layers of quite thick fabric,more when going over seams ect, no chance. I attached the piping to the main section and that was it....................luckily i can use a walking foot machine that i usually use for making the upholstery for wedding cars, which isnt at my house. Its a good job i can as i would have been well and truly stuck at this point................and i have to say, the walking foot went thru those layers like a knife thru butter..............phew...
                it is taking a lot longer than i thought too, not charged enough but will just have to chalk it down to experience.......
                sharon

Comment

I make a lot of loose covers and enjoy cutting out and overlocking all the pieces, but I could do with a way of storing the cover as it starts to be put together. It gets bulkier and heavier and harder to keep tidy. I had wondered about suspending it from the ceiling to prevent creasing. Do you pin fit with calico first and then use it as a pattern for the main fabric? I met a lady once who used to pin and cut the main fabric onto the sofa - unfortunately I never got chance to watch her doing it. I would be terrified of making a mistake.
                  I would be interested to know how you charge for your covers as they are all so different - I nearly always get it wrong and lose out!!

Julie
                  Julie

Comment

Julie,
                    I pin fit to the chair and cut back to seam allowances. The only tricky bits are going over the arm into the inside back/inside arm seam and sometimes at the bottom of the scroll. I never make a pattern first, except for shaped cushions. I would if it were for a set of upholstered dining chairs and they are all the same.

I have a prices for:
                    chair with arms
                    chair w/ arms/wings (which are sometimes quite a bit larger)
                    2 seater
                    3 seater
                    footstool.
                    These are all without cushions and skirts. Then prices for:
                    small/large square/rectangular cushions
                    shaped small/large cushions,
                    per metre for skirts
                    armcaps (per pair)
                    extra charge for 4 seaters
                    extra charge for recliners
                    side cushions

I find that this covers nearly all pieces. I can quote on the phone, subject to seeing the piece, and I find this save my time - some people think that loose covers will be the cheap option!

Re keeping it tidy - I find that most fabrics dont crease, or the creases drop out. When I've finished a cover, I fold it as neatly as possible, and if it's a while until I deliver it, I will take it out and shake it - make sure it's presentable before I go. Nearly all creases disappear when you smooth the cover in place from body warmth and the fact that the fabric is fairly taut.

Hope this all helps!
                    Regards
                    Pen
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison

Comment

That's exactly how I price loose covers, too.

Add in covering piping, too, and length used (I know it's only 12 or 15ppm, buyt you use miles on a 3seater sofa with back and seat cushions) and zips and sliders, too.

I can give a quote over the phone this way too, adding that there will be extra on piping and zips, according to the amount used, then if the customer decides to go ahead, I'll visit for more detailed measurements, and any further discussion.

I thought I'd invented this method, it's nice to find I'm not alone.

Comment

I think that sounds a good method. I will keep a note of my time on each seperate section and then itemise out like you suggest.How do you mark off the seam allowance accurately whilst the cover is pin fitted?
                        I usually leave a seam allowance of 2cm and stitch at 1.5cm to give a little ease, but I find it difficult to allow for shrinkage as I like my covers to be really well fitted from the outset, and hate making them loose. I have pre-washed all the fabric prior to making up to solve this problem, but it is a pain.

Julie
                        Julie

Comment

Good Luck, with the Loosecovers, just take time to plan it out before cutting out,
                          In the past when I have done Loose covers I always use to take photos of the chairs sofa etc from all angles so it became another point of referance for when I came to sew it up, if I got stuck or couldn't remember something about the sofa I could look at the Pictures as a refresher
                          Happy sewing,

Shirley C

Comment

Julie,
                            once pinned, and while still on the furniture, I go round all the seams with a little piece of card that is 2cm wide and mark the seam allowance with a marker pen. The card sits over the pins, so that it is where the seam will be. Trim the excess fabric away and put in lots of notches (you'll be sorry if you don't). When I stitch I do stitch a 2cm seam and find this fits beautifully.
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison

Comment

I am really enjoying reading this topic.

Would anyone be prepared to do a few step by step photographs when they next do a sofa loose cover please?

Comment

Working...
                              X