Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making loose covers

Hi,
    I have been thinking of taking on loose cover for a while now but although I have made them for myself once a long long time ago lack confidence to do it for costumers.An upholster I know told me to "just lay the fabric on cut and pin take off and sew".OK for someone who does the job all the time!
    I have looked at the web site "slipcover.vrya" but it looks to much like hard work reading it, so it put me off! I have just received and watched a DVD called DIYSlipcovers.com by John French (inPrivate and Company Tuition sorry I dont know how to put up a link thing!) and must say it was very good and made the job look very easy.May be a few things I would change but not as messy as "vrya". IT took you step by step through the whole process may take a bit longer making a pattern but I think well worth it for a first timer. Well worth looking round the site.

Re: making loose covers

I make loose covers quite regularly now, but my first pair took 13 fittings!!! I now have it down to a pin fit, second fit to mark valance and then final fit (Hopefully!) I always pin fit with old fabric, mark and cut on pin lines and use as a pattern. I use a 2.5cm seam allowance on cutting out, but sew with a 1.5cm seam. This just allows a little ease for inserted piping. I am always on the lookout for tips and new ideas so I will look on your web site - thanks
    Julie
    Julie

Comment

Re: making loose covers

When you have made a few, you should be able to dispense with making a pattern, and fit directly with the fabric, that's how I do it.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
      X