Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDA Home Study Course

Hi All
    I am pleased to inform the forum that I have successfully completed the home study course in 'Professional Curtain Making & Soft furnishings. This course has given me a great confidence boost., I also found the information provided on starting a business very useful, i.e costing, invoicing etc. I would certainly recommend this course. I no longer get palpitations when faced with a challenge, I now know I can do it. It is also good to know that mydecozo is there if and when I need an answer. I hope to be able to give something to the forum in the future.

Regard
    Maureen

Re: NDA Home Study Course

Congratulations Maureen. I bet you are thrilled. I also took this course and would also recommend it to anyone wanting to make a start in this business.

Good luck for the future and happy sewing!

Jo
    From Jo

Comment

Well done Maureen.
      I seem to have been studying with the NDA like forever...! I haven't done the curtain making course but I did the interior design diploma in 2004, then I did the foundation degree in interior design & now doing the BA(hons). Is anyone else out there doing any of these?
      It is great but I never have time to get it done as I seem to be really busy at the moment, 5 quotes in the last week alone & there was me hoping to get a few weeks off to catch up with studying
      Emma
      Ruffets Drapes

Comment

Emma that exactly how it was for me! Never did finish the course! One day..............................

Comment

Not on this thread but Tam, sent a PM but your in box is full.

Enid

Comment

I did the Interior Design Diploma, and finished about a year ago. That was enough for me. I really enjoyed doing it but I don't think I could commit to anything more demanding in time or brain power.

Angie

Comment

I also qualified from the professional curtain making and soft furnishings course about a year ago with nda. i loved doing the course and learned alot. how do you find the pricing advice they gave u in the course notes maureen?? Im from scotland and the pricing up here for curtain makers is slightly different from whats adviced, and in some cases i feel am under cutting myself. Im just not sure...

but on a great note i loved the course and its changed my life in many ways
              Kelly Scott

Comment

Originally posted by kels2705 View Post
                I also qualified from the professional curtain making and soft furnishings course about a year ago with nda. i loved doing the course and learned alot. how do you find the pricing advice they gave u in the course notes maureen?? Im from scotland and the pricing up here for curtain makers is slightly different from whats adviced, and in some cases i feel am under cutting myself. Im just not sure...

but on a great note i loved the course and its changed my life in many ways
                Hi Kelly

I often used to think I was under cutting myself so I review my prices every 6 months & I often time jobs to work out what I should charge. You need to have an hourly rate in mind you would like to earn ie £10 an hour then I double it to take into account out lay of electric, fuel etc then if for example a small roman takes 4 hours you charge £80 plus cost of components let's say another £30 then you end up with a price of £110. It's taken me years but I'm starting to get my prices about right now I think.
                Good luck
                Emma
                Ruffets Drapes

Comment

Well Done Maureen. I did it in 1999 and I still sometimes refer back to my folder! I have still never had to make a drop box pleat heading, but at least I know I can if asked! You are right, the self confidence it gives is well worth the investment of time and cash.

Sue.

Comment

Well done Maureen! I also did the course and completed this in 2002! It was just what I needed to boost my confidence too and Sue I still refer to my folder. I recently made my first London blind and it was great to have this to hand. Thanks for the idea on pricing Emma, my husband has encouraged me to raise my prices as everything always takes longer to do than I predict.
                    Good luck Maureen!
                    Becky

Made By Beck

Comment

cheers ill take tht info on board. im sure ill get there. EVENTUALLy lol... i can make curtains all day long but when it comes to the pricing bit ive been totally lost...

thanx again
                      Last edited by kels2705; 21st March 2012, 23:06. Reason: wrong person replying to
                      Kelly Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Made By Beck View Post
                        Well done Maureen! I also did the course and completed this in 2002! It was just what I needed to boost my confidence too and Sue I still refer to my folder. I recently made my first London blind and it was great to have this to hand. Thanks for the idea on pricing Emma, my husband has encouraged me to raise my prices as everything always takes longer to do than I predict.
                        Good luck Maureen!
                        Snap my husband is always at me bout my prices too. i get lost when comes to pricing and have been told so many times im under cutting myself. i need to revise my prices i think.
                        Kelly Scott

Comment

Thanks ladies, I am slowly getting the pricing right. I find it very difficult to put a price to my work, I was given some notes from NDA on how to price so I used that and juggle a bit here and there. I am currently in the process of setting up my business full time, I did not realise how much there is to to, however, I am nearly there website is under construction as we speak.
                          Regards
                          Maureen

Comment

Working...
                          X