• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Charl...congratulations.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Well done, Charl!! Now to (continue) putting it into practise!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Did you pay the full 500-odd quid for the course? And was it worth it? I am wondering whether it is worth it or whether, as you say, you learn as much by doing projects? I'm sure it is good for confidence, but is it good for skills? Or can you pick up the skills from books, online tutorials etc.?
        Thanks.
        ​Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by AMANDA View Post
          Did you pay the full 500-odd quid for the course? And was it worth it? I am wondering whether it is worth it or whether, as you say, you learn as much by doing projects? I'm sure it is good for confidence, but is it good for skills? Or can you pick up the skills from books, online tutorials etc.?
          Thanks.
          I dont have a single qualification to my name!!..................and yet people use me to make their pelmets because I can..........and have done so for the last 20 years!.......This fascination for having a piece of paper means nothing to me............Some of the best interior designers I have worked for didn't have any qualifications..........the ones that caused the most problems had a piece of paper!

That's the trouble with education, they confuse an education with intelligence.....................Frankly if you have the ability just do it!!!!!!!
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

I did the course more for my own confidence than anything else. To be honest, a lot of what they teach you do know already. But there are still some tips along the way that you pick up but also the methods that they teach that you know you won't use again as you learnt something that suits you better. I am(was) self-taught and didn't have a lot of experience at the time that I registered.

I agree with Dave and the fascination with a 'piece of paper'. This was not my reason for doing it. It forced me to make some samples of items that I never had to make before eg swags and tails and a sample corner of a padded pelmet. At least I now have a basic working knowledge if I ever get requests for these items whereas before I might have thought twice.

At the time of registering for the course I have only really made some curtains and a couple of blinds. The NDA broadened my horizons to more. If you have your own workroom or have the opportunity to do a day/s course or some work experience, this will stand you in good stead. No course can make up for experience from hands on working yourself!
            Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

Charl, I totally agree!

That's exactly the same for me too. It gave me confidence in what I wanted to achieve,allowed me to experiment with items I never would have made otherwise.
              I also agree, if you have a talent then go for it! Some I have trained with have no idea about construction and design even though they have achieved a piece of paper saying they have achieved a qualification.

Working with fabric and designs isn't an exact science, we never stop learning either!
              It's a feeling, its a talent, it's an understanding, it's a respect for the craft, and no matter how much training a person has, if they haven't "got it" its never going to happen!
              Training can't hurt, it gains you confidence and a few very nice friends with similar interests along the way !

Comment

Congratulations Charl on achieving your Diploma!

I found the NDA course gave me a basic grounding and concept on making curtains and soft furnishings 'professionally', but there is so much more to learn, through experience and trial and error. Practise makes perfect!

Debs

Comment

Re: N.D.A

I know this is an old thread but thought you might like to know that this course is now £950!!! The funding changed in June/July 2013. I just managed to squeeze in before the change.
                  Ruth

Comment

Crikey Ruth that's a hike in price. I paid £40 years ago to train with the NDA, it's the best £40 I ever spent! But agree with others, it only gives the basics, there is much more to learn and unfortunately through trial and error.

Comment

I think the price used to be so low because there was some sort of (European?) grant/subsidy fund which meant they only had to charge about £40. This stopped a while ago.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X