The Virtual Workroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Virtual Workroom

If you're looking to update your knowledge on specific topics then please take a look at my new website The Virtual Workroom. I'm aiming to share the kind of stuff you'd pick up if you worked as part of a team in a curtain workroom.

I've written Guides on all sorts of topics and added step-by-step photos where appropriate, for a small fee you can download just the info you require.

Topics currently available are:-

Setting up a workroom
    Making a plywood pelmet
    Making a square bordered cushion
    Making a round gathered cushion
    Linings and interlinings
    Making a tapered lampshade pattern
    Roman blind calculations and costings/pricing
    Glossary of handmade curtain headings
    Understanding and making eyelet curtains
    Making a quilted cushion cover
    Using a micro tagging gun

More topics will be added over the next few weeks, I hope you find them useful.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: The Virtual Workroom

It looks great Louise - well done! I'm sure it'll be very popular.

How do you manage it all?....running your own business and all that that entails, my decozo and a new website.....I am in awe......

Comment

Thanks AFSSF - this has taken 18+ months to get up and running (including trying to understand restrictions imposed by VATMOSS regulations........!)
      Luckily my children are old enough to pretty much look after themselves, and I have a husband who is a techie so handles all that side of it for me
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A really great site Louise! Good luck with it - hope it goes well!
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you Pen.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

She really is a fount of information and a clever lady. Oh and she is a good friend too, always ready and willing to answer daft questions and check calculations, she even let's me borrow books!!!!!😊😊😊. A fab find through this fab forum.

Comment

I regularly have those eh???? moments and wish there was someone next to me that I could ask for help. Your new site is a fab idea.
              CatherineL
              Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Thank you both for your kind words, I'm sure I get as much back as I give. This place has boosted my knowledge and confidence no end over the years.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've just taken a quick look now and without even seeing the guides , it's simply great, Louise! One thing I love is the clear unfussy layout of the pages with a simple colour theme. It makes it easy to read, no flashing, animations or adverts to distract. I loved reading the items on the 'Teabreak' section; they make me want to come over to England for a holiday to visit the places! Well Done.
                  Caroline

Comment

Thank you for taking the time for that feedback, and for looking at the pages. I was aiming for something uncluttered and easy to use, remembering early days visiting customers and wanting to be confident, then rushing home to try and find the best way to deliver a good result. Even when it was something I'd never made before
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Congratulations Louise, it is a lovely, easy to use site and I will certainly be keeping an eye on the guides you produce.

Another place of interest for the teabreak section is Quarry Bank Mill near Manchester- it is owned by the National Trust, so free for members to visit, and there is a mill with working machinery as well as the accommodation lived in by the orphan children who were a large part of the workforce.

Best wishes
                      Liz

Comment

Well done Louise. I am so happy to finally see this up and running. xxx
                        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thank you both.....I have quite a bit of info to add to the site but my OH needed a bit of a break after wrestling with configuring Paypal checkouts and the like
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

This looks great Louise. I will have a closer look when I get a chance

Maz

Comment

Louise; I've just seen your Virtual Workroom site and want to add my compliments too, it's such a great idea and will be a really useful resource for all of us solitary curtain makers. The site is so clearly laid out, straightforward to navigate and already contains lots of useful information. Looking forward to seeing its progression. Well done for all the hard work to get it going!

Comment

Working...
                              X