Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Design Academy

Hi Everyone

I have done it !!!! I have enrolled on the Soft Furnishings and Curtain making diploma, really looking forward to doing it but also very nervous too, but I am sure with all your support and the community they have on line I will be able to get something done for each module

I look forward to speaking to people about this if they need any advice and I am sure you will know when I am struggling and having a good old moan !!

baz

Re: National Design Academy

That's great news. I remember reading a post a while back where you were thinking of doing it, we'll done for taking the plunge and making that commitment to yourself.

I'm also thinking about it....perhaps we could be study buddies????

Comment

I did it a few years ago found, really enjoyed it and picked up some useful tips.

Good luck
      Sue

Comment

Hi Baz,

I did the NDA course a couple of years ago and it was great - even though the assignments did seem to take a bit more time than I was expecting! They were very flexible about extending assignment deadlines which was really helpful.

I don't know if you've bought the DVD that goes alongside the course notes? I would definitely recommend it.

Good luck!
        Becky

Comment

I've just finished my last assignment! Yeehaa! Thoroughly enjoyed doing the Diploma although I did have to ask for a couple of extensions! I'm now going to do the Diploma in Interior Design and I guess I'll find that more challenging but probably very useful in my job.
          Jacqui
          Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

I've done the Diploma in Interior Design and found it well worth doing and enjoyable. You'll sail through the window treatment section!

Angie

Comment

I'm doing the Diploma in Interior Design at the moment and really enjoying it. Currently doing the Space Planning module, window treatments are next!
              CatherineL
              Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

I might look into the Interior Design Diploma, although I have already done a Planning a Room City & Guilds. Its that or a beginners local upholstery course, I wonder what would be more useful, what to do! what to do!

Any thoughts.
                Sue

Comment

Hi Baz, l completed the curtain and Softfurnishings diploma with the NDA in February. I found the course notes self explanitory and enjoyed the course very much. I hav'nt as yet gone out on my own yet but in the process of doing my own curtains after a house relocation. Hope to speak to you all soon with client queries in the future.
                  Enjoy your course
                  Susan

Comment

Hi Susan

Well done !!! Glad you completed it and enjoyed it, I am looking forward to starting but am a bit nervous as time can be a bit tight as I work shifts, but am hoping that I can get stuff done in my spare time

How did you find the first module , I have heard its a mood board , never done anything like this and have to say a bit worried !!?!?!?

Good luck with the house refurb, we have just finished our main bedroom, plastering , decorating etc and nice new carpets etc , have made a gorgeous roman blind and cushions etc but still deliberating on the curtains, I would have liked silk or satin but hubby does not want anything shiny !!!! so the jury is out on that one at the moment and now I have the course to do I am going to concentrate on that for now and see where it takes me

I would love to start out properly on my own after this, I have been dabbling and working full time over the last few years, but this year I decided to make a go of the diploma and see what happens

baz

Comment

I did it a few years ago also, it's a good course but it's only the beginning, i just wish this forum was around when i started out, it would've saved a lot of pain! There's a lot of pitfalls doing this job, but like a colleague of mine quite rightfully said when i told her of yet another difficult customer; "As long as the client knows that you'll put things right that need it, it's not life and death stuff, it's not heart surgery". Although this sounds quite obvious, when things start going a bit pear shaped and stressful i remember these words and it puts it all into perspective. And to end on a positive note, there's nothing like running your own business, it's fab.

Comment

Yes go for it Baz. The diploma is well worth doing. Once you get unit one out the way it is more or less producing sample sewing techniques/curtains. Unit one you will do a bit of colour theory and a presentation customer sample Board for a window treatment also a bit about fabric types. I managed to do mine in six months and l worked full time.
                        I really enjoy sewing and would have liked to get together with an interior designer so that we could work together.

Comment

I too have taken the plunge. Module 1 underway. Quite exciting really.
                          Ruth

Comment

I finished my Curtain Making Diploma last month and have just started the Diploma in Interior Design - nothing like a little extra pressure!
                            Jacqui
                            Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

I'd just like to say, having completed module 6, that I think goblet pleats are the devil. Bleh!
                              Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X