• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piping corners - YouTube video

MyDecozo Admin

Re: Piping corners - YouTube video

Hi Philip,

Thanks again for another brilliant video. Don't know if I'll ever master piping on cushions, you make it look so easy. Do you think the piping feet on industrial are much better than the domestic or is it me - bad tradesman/woman blaming his/her tools
    Ursula

Comment

Ursula, I think you can get the same feet for a domestic machine - I'd also say that having the knee lift on the industrial machine makes things easier.
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

excellent
        thank you for that i have learnt so much
        lss

Comment

Thank you, another excellent video Philip. I have a brother domestic machine and I'm going to phone now to check if I can get similar feet to the ones you use. Your industrial ones get so much closer to the fabric than mine.

Cat
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi Philip,
            Great video - I learn something from you every time I visit this site! I realise now that I've been using my piping foot entirely the wrong way, having used it to make the piping and then changing it for the zip foot when applying the piping. The piping foot obviously gives you so much more purchase on your work, stopping it from slipping. I've never been able to master the knee lift on my machine - maybe I need to do some work on the gym to strengthen my thighs!! Now for a really silly question .... given that I acquired my industrial some years ago from another curtain maker, and have never used one in a commercial sewing environment ... is there an easy way of making your needle end up in the work rather than at the top of its travel? Is it just a matter of control and practice? I would have thought I'd used it enough to work this out, but seemingly not! And do you have both your feet on your 'treadle'? Does this help?
            Thanks again,
            Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie

I use a wide zipper foot for piping as I find the thin zipper foot a nightmare to work with, the picture below shows a the wide foot on the right hand side. When using a piping foot, be sure the piping fits in the groove - Each different sized piping will require a different sized foot.

[attachment=0:rejae3iz]feet.jpg[/attachment:rejae3iz]

Many machines have a "needle down" option on the last stitch, but mine doesn't. I have to control my machine myself; are you aware that you need to engage your motor slightly by pressing on the foot pedal in order to turn the wheel easily and move the needle up and down? Apply a small amount of pressure, enough to engage the motor, but not enough to make the needle move, keep the pressure on the pedal and you will then be able to turn the wheel to position your needle easily. Use both feet on the pedal, if your machine is too fast, adjust the bar that goes from the pedal to the motor.

Hope this helps!

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

That's a great tip about 2 feet on the pedal. When I rented an industrial, my lesson made no mention of it. I hated the machine. But Penny (and now you) told me about the 2 feet thing and it does make such a difference to control.

Comment

Thanks Philip

Comment

Originally posted by Schuhby
                    Ursula, that'll be your connection and nothing I can do for you.. Maybe you could re-boot?
                    Just press the "pause" button and wait a few minutes for the whole video to download (check the progress line), then press PLAY (>) again.

Comment

Philip,
                      Thank you so much for your reply - another day when I've learnt something useful from mydecozo ... if it had been like this when I was at school I'd have been a brain surgeon by now!
                      Jackie

Comment

Hello

I'm new here. Is it possible to show us how to finish off a piped cushion? A while ago I found a video and it showed how to join the ends together...but I can't find it anymore. Other videos I've found just do a fold and then then sew over the ends to join them. Yes, it works...but I'd much rather have joins which aren't so obvious.

(Sorry if this is a repeat question. I've looked, but couldn't see that it had been asked before).

Robbie

Comment

not a video but instructions, if it helps.

Cut the end of the piping at right angles to the raw edge.
                          Stitch the piping to the cushion, leaving an opening of around 7cm.
                          Overlap the two ends of the piping by the width of the piping strips - e.g if your strips are 5.5cm wide, overlap and cut the ends at 5.5cm.
                          Under the seams on the piping casing and open out the casing.
                          Right sides together, match the short ends of the piping. Turn one of them through 45 degrees.
                          Stitch across at a 45 degree angle corner to corner, one of which will be on the top and one on the bottom. You will have a triangular seam allowance.
                          Before trimming the seam, fold over to check that the seam has been sewn the correct way. Trim the seam and press open, trim the cords so that they butt together, and finish stitching the piping to the cushion.

Let me know if this helps.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for the reply....but I didn't understand it. (I'm sure more advanced people will understand it, and be grateful to you for the explanation.)

The videos had made it so easy to understand. Worry not. If there isn't a video, I'll just improvise.

Thanks again. Robbie )

Comment

Maureen Whitemore's book 'The Home Furnishings Workbook' has very clear step by step illustrations for joining piping. It may be in your local library.

Thecurtainmaker's explanation is excellent but if you like to see something as well as following the instructions, this book is well worth a look.

Angie

Comment

Working...
                              X