I'm glad to be here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad to be here

My name is Mary Ann Plumlee. I own a business in Waco Texas USA that includes a showroom, and drapery workroom. We carry all types of window treatments/coverings, including blinds, plantations shutters, and draperies. We also do custom bedding, and upholstery.

I started my business in 1985 with $50.00 and a home sewing machine on my dining room table. My business has grown to employ 12 workers.

When I started in business, there was no training, or help to be found. So I learned by trial and error, never really knowing if I was doing it "right" or not. Nevertheless my business grew and my customers were happy. A year ago, I was chosen to write for Drapery & Window Coverings Magazine, one of the major trade magazines for our industry in the US. So I now write a regular column "FROM THE WORKROOM". If you would like to view the magazine, or read my articles you can go to www.dwconline.com D&WC Magazine launched a blog for me on the home page and I will be posting photos of custom products from workrooms. The photos will come from www.workroomintelligence which is a blog I created more than a year ago to showcase workrooms.

Many of you have visited WI and I am grateful for your participation in visiting the site, and welcome you to send photos in to WI for publication.
    You never know...you might even see your photos posted on www.dwconline.com where many thousands of readers visit each month.

I appreciate your warm welcome and look forward to learning from this group. There is always something new to learn. For example, I always hear about the English method of making draperies...no clue what that means. I look forward to finding out.

maplumlee

Re: I'm glad to be here

Hello Mary Ann

We've already exchanged a few emails - But I'd still like to welcome you to he forum, we look forward to your contributions in the future and hope we can all learn something from each other..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

And we're glad you found your way here too welcome. I look forward to reading the wealth of your knowledge. Thats what's so special about this friendly forum, the unconditional help, the support when things are tough, and the sharing of each others knowledge. Its a special place you found here Ann.

Comment

Welcome Mary Ann, hope you enjoy it! Look forward to reading your posts and looking at your pictures! Jules is very right it is a special place.
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Hi Mary

Welcome to the forum this is a great site i often wake early hours in the morning the first thing i do is computer on kettle on, its great for finding inspiration
          when you want something different. Look forward to seeing lots of your pics

Irene

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think it best if I take the position of student for a while...as I am having some difficulty navigating the site. I can't enter CHAT for example, not sure how to make that happen.

And I have to ask. "Bespoke"...what does that mean? Sorry to be so unenlightened. I would love to know more about your part of the world. My great grandfather was Scots Irish..(hope I am spelling that correctly) and his father came to America during the potato famine.

I saw a special on public broadcasting about the Scots Irish, and it seems that they loved to fight and drink. (Which explained a lot about family reunions.) Celtic music is my first choice of music and speaks to my soul...and when I see green pastures from your part of the world, I feel in my bones that it is home.

So as a woefully ignorant person about where my people come from...I hope you will induldge the occasional naive question as I try to peek back in time to my roots.

maplumlee

Comment

Hi Mary Ann,
              My welcomes also.
              Bespoke is the 'same' as custom in the States.
              Regards
              Pen
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Mary Ann

If you're using AOL that'll be the problem, the security here requires a regular IP check and AOL continually change them causing user problems. You'll find you're be ok sometimes in chat, but not other times. Check again if you can get in please as I've turned the session check off. Please let me know either way.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                X