Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - hello!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say what a great site this is - Full of invaluable information.

I have made a few curtains and Roman blinds in the past with varying degrees of success, though not to the immaculate finish that most of you are acieving. I would really like to improve my skills at making blinds as I am due to have a sun room built at the end of summer and am thinking about about making blinds myself. As an all-year round room, I think roller blinds wont be warm enough.

I found my way here after buying an M and D book on curtains and blinds. It has really opened my eyes!! - prior to this the track systems I boughtfor my two 120cm wide windows cost me over £100 each!!! - Oh how the sellers must have been laughing. They are exactly as you would find on M and D's site. Trouble is, when you don't know where to buy such stuff Google can take you to all the wrong places!!

Anyway, I am planning to update both the blinds I have made ( for practice), and perhaps also the proffesionally done one I have in my bedroom. I seem to get a bit muddled with the rod spacings, so no doubt I may yet shout for help!! I would love to go on a course, but I am based in Aberdeen, so too far from any I have found listed (so far).

Look forward to being part of this site.

ang x

Re: Newbie - hello!

Hello Ang

Welcome to the forum.. Great to see new faces and nice that you have taken the time to introduce yourself, we're a small, friendly forum here .. I recently wrote a forum topic on spacing rod pockets in roman blinds, you may find it useful and there are many usrs here who will help you and answer your questions - take a look at the topic HERE Let us know how you get on.. Before you buy anything in future, take a look around the forum, we often list good buys... You can even ask for advice on where to buy.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks . I did study your article, and I will look at it in more depth later. I am ashamed to say that the last Romans I made had a sort of iron-on type lining (http://www.romanblinds.com/diy_blinds.htm). It has made them very stiff and they hang horribly. I tried to re-jig the rods, but only succeeded in having the cascaded pleating round the wrong side . If ever the adage measure twice cut once, was made for someone, then it must be me!!.

I hope you all have enough patience for my very simplistic questions!!

ang x

Comment

We'll get you through it Ang... You'll be making them and selling them at a profit in no time at all!
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello Ang
          Welcome to the forum I'm sure you will become hooked like everybody else.
          I know your neck of the woods very well. My dad comes from Fraserburgh and as children we spent every summer holiday and new year in the north east. I love Scotland it is so beautiful.
          Good luck with your blinds I'm sure you will do well.
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hello Ang,
            I'm in Aberdeen, too. Blowy,today, isn't it!
            It's dire here for supplies, mail order is the only way, unless you're very lucky. I had a feeling Abrdeen college did some kind of a course, or the council in the adult education thing, I'm trying to find out for Louise's lists. You'll find the information you want here, right enough, though.
            Nic

Comment

Hi
              Welcome to the site, ask away it is amazing the knowledge that is here.

sophie

Comment

Hi Kitchen Angel,

You won't feel like a Newbie for long at MyDecozo! Welcome to this busy little community. It's great! Better than making curtains really and is SOOOOOOOOOO addicitve!

Comment

Hi Kitchenangel welcome to the decozo forum you will love it and become so addicted ,its a real help and some wonderful advice given just ask away x

Comment

A big Welcome Kitchen Angel
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Ang

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is so helpful, honest and friendly, that you will soon feel at home .

Sas

Comment

Morning Ang
                        There is a curtain maker in Scotland who offers training courses. Her name is Katy Rodger Making Interiors she is listed on the training courses section of this site.
                        She does make very high end stuff for homes in Edinburgh and Glasgow. She has a nice big work room which is well equiped and also offers accomodation for those who need it. She is very nice and eager to achieve perfection.
                        She is about an hours drive from Edinburgh in a place called Fintry. I am sure it worth giving her a call as she may be able to help you.
                        Good Luck.
                        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Welcome Ang - you'll be amazed how much knowledge & info there is on this forum. It's fantastic & you definately won't feel new for long
                          Jane

Comment

Thanks everyine, for the lovely welcome. Yesterday I went into town and bought a new sewing machine. I can be quite impulsive, so I hope I haven't made a mistake - Bought a JL300C (I think), from John Lewis - they are basically janome machines and a vast improvement on the basic Brother model I bought 16 years ago ( when coincidentally, I was working in JL dress fabrics as part of my Graduate training scheme). I then went to Waterstones to buy my own copy of 'The Bible'. Of course, now I have to wait for Hamish to have an afternoon nap, so I can have a play about with it.

Penny, I had already looked at that website for training, but it's just a bit too far, and Hamish then complicates matters. There is a 2 month course at Aberdeen college on a Wdnesday, starting end of April. I am going to find out more about the course as I'm sure I could get H into his nursery for an additional full day ( he goes 2 afternoons a week to give me some peace!).

Can't wait for Tuesday so I can get ordering online. Can't get a decent sized set square for love nor money in the shops here.

ang x

Comment

Ang,

I use a roofers square. It metal, strong and even good for turning up hems with the iron. You can get them in DIY's or from Screwfix on line.

Comment

Working...
                              X