Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hello everyone.

My name is Lawrence and I'm a transplanted Californian. I've lived in England for five years now. I originally came to this country to attend an interior design school and while in London met my partner (now of 8 years). I started sewing about 15 years ago. I started off making curtains and valances for myself and then friends and family. I've taught myself to sew with the help of books and videos and loads of PERSEVERANCE. I have done a bit of design work but realized that I was more interested in soft furnishings than designing entire interiors. I have worked in a sewing workroom , we made up for designers and our own clients, but reluctantly left due to relocating with my partners job. I do one day hope to make sewing my livley hood again but for now I find challenges where I can. I've recently made upholstered pelmets, pinchpleated curtains and loads of cushions for my motherinlaw. I'm just finishing a pair of rod pocket swaged valances to send back to my mum in California. I look forward to reading all your posts and learning what I can from all of your experiences.
    Happy sewing to you all.

Re: Hello everyone

Hi there Lawrencem22,

Welcome to this very informative (if very addictive) forum. I think patience is a must in this game but happy to say more trial than error since the launch of decozo, fingers crossed so it doesn't all go wrong

I'm intrigued to know what rod pocket swagged valances are that you're sending back to your mum........ Please enlighten me!

Whereabouts are you based in the UK, by the way?

I hope you have lots of fun here and find loads of info/share loads of tips.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will soon become addicted to it like me. Sounds like you have a lot of experience to share with us as well.

Happy sewing.

Julie
      Julie

Comment

Hi jules I'm in Oswestry in north Shropshire. Ages ago I bought a very cheaply made window valance with a slot top. When flat it looks like a long rectangle with sloping sides and rounded triangular peaks spaced out across the top of it. imagine a swag but smooth out the cut out sections on the sides befor it is gathered. A slot is sewn along the top to put a rod through. once it is gathered the pocket forces the excess fabric in the peaks at the top to drop down and form a swag. Obviously being ready made it came only in one size so I decided to draft a pattern so I could make it in what ever size I wished, just add more swag sections between the tail sections.I did a rough calculation and it works out to about 3 times fullness. Each swag section measures about 9 inches when gathered and that includes half a horn.When the pattern pieces are laid together they give a full horn between each tail to swag and swag to swag junction. Divide rod face by 9 inches and that gives you the number of swag sections that you need. It works beautifully. It has a straight bottom so adding trim is easy also cut out railroad and no seams to deal with. If you are familiar with Mfay patterns, it looks exactly like an emipre swag valance.

Comment

Is there any chance of seeing a photo of this sometime? sounds intriguing!!

Julie
          Julie

Comment

I'll try to get some pictures uploaded, it may take a while.

Comment

HI L,

It does sound intriguing. Off to look at Empire valances....

You're not a million miles from me and even less from Sophie - we could even have our own chapter like that Yorkshire lot before too long!

Comment

Hi Lawrence,
                Welcome from me too. I'm in Worcestershire, on the Worcs/Shrops border, and lived in Ludlow until recently.
                Regards
                Pen
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi lawrence,
                  Welcome to the forum, as Jules said I am close to you just north of Shrewsbury.

Sophie

Comment

Just 'borrowing' M'Fay pic....

[attachment=0:ic1419tx]'Fay Empire Valance.jpg[/attachment:ic1419tx]

Comment

Working...
                    X