Hello out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello out there!

Hi everyone, my name's Julia and I took up curtain and blind making almost a year ago (a complete career change from being a recruitment manager!). I longed to have a more creative career and also now I have a small son I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible so needed a flexible job. I have been so lucky so far as I am working with a curtain maker who has been in the business for 20 years. She would like to retire soon and has been really kind and is training me up to take on her client book - yes - how nice! It's been going really well so far, I have learnt basic curtains, pencil pleats and roman blinds on battens. The vast majority of the work coming in is from customers who have already chosen their fabric, ring up with the dimensions and we simply make them up and then they are collected. However, recently (after she has encouraged me to advertise independently) I am finding most customers would like me to visit, measure up and be the font of all knowledge on tracks/interior design/fabrics etc. Talk about in at the deep end!!! It's been a bit daunting at times to be honest and so boy was I pleased to have found your forum! Wow, is all I can say to some of the jobs you have completed they look fantastic, I now realise I have so much to learn and have only learnt the real basics so far but I can't wait to get stuck in. I look forward to chatting to you all soon.

Re: Hello out there!

Welcome JayRey and congrats on finding such a dream job! The potential to buy a business you have such intimate knowledge of is fantastic. I am still constantly amazed as to how generous the curtain making fraternity/sorority is with its knowledge. We all benefit so much from the info others give so freely. What a lucky lot we are!

Whereabouts are you?

Comment

Hello JayRey

Don't be too daunted by visiting customers - remember you know a whole lot more than most of them.......when things come up you are not sure about (and they will) try and smile confidently, ask questions (especially if the customer has 'seen it somewhere', try and find out where!) and keep notes. Then you can always refer to books or ask us when you get home! We are all learning things as we go along.

Louise
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hello JayRey

Welcome to the Forum - there is so much I dont know too but somebody somewhere on here will know - Thankfully lol

Glad your enjoying making curtains it is a very therapeutic job and ideal when you have small children.

Kathy
        K W Designs
        Bournemouth

Comment

Hi Julia,
          Welcome!
          It's great to have a new challenge! Where abouts are you based?
          Regards
          Pen
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you for all your messages, what a treat to log in today and have a warm welcome. I am based in Caversham which is near Reading.
            I had a sleepless night last night over a tricky roman blind but having tackled it head on this morning with an open mind I'm pleased to
            say it's working out well now, phew. It's reassuring to know that you all come across things you are unsure of too!

Julia

Comment

Quite near me then, I'm between Twyford and Wokingham .....
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi yes Louise, we are quite near then! Although I haven't had any jobs out of the Reading or Newbury area really
                Julia

Comment

Working...
                X