Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone

Hi,

My name is Helen, married for his sins, no children. I've been a self-employed curtain/soft furnishing and dressmaker for 6 years now. Previously worked for a large law practice managing a first line IT helpdesk !! Soooooooo different. Worked there for 23 years so was somewhat nervous branching out !! Certainly don't achieve the same sort of salary but am much happier working from home, although it can be quite solitary if I don't have customers to visit.

I disliked sewing classes at school but my mum (sewing her main subject at teacher training) insisted I make my work outfits for my first job as she couldn't afford to "kit me out". With her guidance more got worn than binned eventually. From the first compliments on my outfits I started to enjoy sewing and it became a hobby, sewing for friends and family.

My main job is curtain making but when prom season arrives it's busy, busy, busy. An ex-work colleague recommended me to a dress shop for alterations so I get to see the excitement of the young girls preparing for their proms, it's brill.

Well that's a bit about me.

Looking forward to picking your brains (already had my first responses to a query !!)

Regards
    Helen

Re: Hi Everyone

Hi Helen and welcome.

Certainly was a brave career change and very, very brave of you to admit to knowing about IT - 'it' is a very good word for something most of us know so little about. Prepare to be bombarded with non sewing questions too!

I really hope you enjoy it here! Whereabouts is home for you?

Comment

Hi Jules

Knowing about IT? My husband knows more than me now, it's amazing how technology moves on even in the few years I've been out of the field. I'm in Birmingham about 4 miles from the NEC. I'm sure I'll enjoy the site, from the posts I've read everyone seems really helpful

Helen

Comment

Hello Helen

Glad you found us and hope we help you feel less solitary! That is something most of us experience.....
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Helen, a warm welcome from me too. You will find lots of helpful advice here. The trick is to limit yourself to a set amount of time when you log on or you could spend hours on here, it really is addictive!
          Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hello Helen,
            And a very warm welcome from me also. Yes this site is addictive and as Cat says limit yourself or you'll get nothing done. I've been known to log on just to check something quickly and 2 hours have passed. lol It's one big happy family here and already I feel I know a lot of the girls not forgetting our main men Pip and Dave (just like our hubbys - so not - they know everything) lol. Look forward to you sharing.
            Ursula

Comment

Hi Helen,
              nice to see someone else from my part of the world!
              Regards
              Pen
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
              X