Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me

I'm a retired computer/electronics type man with a penchant for making things; Shaker style kitchen furniture, various bits of clothing (anything stretchy is fun - I've just about mastered the art of designing/making swimwear); if I'm feeling physically lazy I make bread, write software or design electronic things.

I've been dipping in and out of mydecozo for weeks in preparation for covering our sofa. The nice people at The Sewing Forum gave me links here and I have learnt so much from various posts and Philip's excellent videos that I thought I should show solidarity and join up.

This week, packages are arriving for the sofa project. So far I have some damask and piping cord. Tomorrow, foam, calico and zipping will hopefully arrive. The only thing I can't track down is a 5 litre bottle of industrial strength confidence. I can watch all the "how to" videos in the world and read all the posts, but the confidence to get stuck in, that's a different matter! I'd hate to make a mess of that nice fabric.

Today's little problem is making piping. I've just had a quick bash with horrid results. I didn't use bias cut fabric which accounts for some of the problem but mainly I found it impossible to keep the cord tight in the casing especially when going over raised parts of the fabric's pattern. May have to try using a zipper foot rather than the pukka piping foot which is possibly just a tad too small. I'm off to try again.

Please send any old bottles of Upholsterer's Confidence Tonic to...

Bob
    Bob
    (A legend in his own mind.)

Re: Me

Hi Bob

Welcome to the forum, don't know about buying the bottled confidence, but I do know there will be many people here who will motivate, help and support you in your project. Piping feet are great for straight lines, but turning corners is a different matter - personally I always use a left needle zipper foot and find it works fine. You know where to come if you get in to trouble, photo's are always a great help too! Are you making loose covers or fixed upholstery?

Thanks for the kind comment about the videos..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello Bob,

Just get stuck in. That's the way to upholster. Remember, the first thing you take off is the last thing to go back on.

As to piping. Are you talking about piping cushions or piping the sofa, ie: above maybe a valance or around the inside of scroll arms? If it's the latter, much isn't actually stitched but stapled on behind backtack strip.

I believe that Karen C is the upholstery guru here. Perhaps she'll pop by soon?

As to your other talents, maybe I'll pm you!

I'm glad you've risen to the challenge of upholstery. It is so rewarding (though terribly time consuming and physical) as long as the proper tools are to hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Schuhby
        ... - personally I always use a left needle zipper foot and find it works fine. You know where to come if you get in to trouble, photo's are always a great help too! Are you making loose covers or fixed upholstery?
        Philip
        Hi Philip,

Thanks for that advice; I tried a zipper foot earlier this evening and it worked perfectly; so much easier to feed the fabric at an angle to the foot and really kick the cord tight in to the fabric fold.

I'm making loose covers for an old but sound M&S sofa.

Bob
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
          ...As to piping. Are you talking about piping cushions or piping the sofa, ie: above maybe a valance or around the inside of scroll arms? If it's the latter, much isn't actually stitched but stapled on behind backtack strip.
          As to your other talents, maybe I'll pm you!

I'm glad you've risen to the challenge of upholstery. It is so rewarding (though terribly time consuming and physical) as long as the proper tools are to hand!
          Hello Rosie,

Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

The piping is for the cushions. There was also some above the valance but I may not replace it. The great thing about DIY is that you can change your mind half way through. When we stripped the sofa down to calico the plainness of it suited our living room rather well so we're thinking of keeping the replacement covers rather simple. As I write, I'm wondering whether to forget the cushion piping as well. Maybe that would be a little too minimalist!

Do pm about other talents but be prepared for disappointment - I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

I agree with your assertion that upholstery is time consuming. I've spent over a month just researching, ordering bits and pieces and generally just trying to get my mind around the whole thing. Beats watching TV though!

Bob
          Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
            Welcome. Piping on the cushions will help strengthen the seams and improve the wearability of the covers. I also think that getting the seams straight looking on unpiped covers is more difficult!
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Bob

If you haven't already read this post, you may find it of interest - My new slip cover

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Originally posted by thecurtainmaker
                Hi Bob,
                Welcome. Piping on the cushions will help strengthen the seams and improve the wearability of the covers. I also think that getting the seams straight looking on unpiped covers is more difficult!
                Thank you for the welcome and advice. I was persuading myself that I could save some work by omitting the piping; I think now that I would regret it in the long run.

Originally posted by Schuhby
                If you haven't already read this post, you may find it of interest - My new slip cover
                Philip
                Thanks Philip; that's a very good intro. - except that it made me feel very old indeed when the teenager in the picture says right at the end that she's in fact 29!
                Bob

Comment

Working...
                X