Introductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introductions

Hi everyone, my name's Anita - Harry's the cat so I'm his mum.

Just recently joined the forum, and would like to introduce myself.

Recently got back into sewing, after taking some time off. Saw the light and left a full time job. Mainly self taught, and have always made my own curtains and blinds. Have got the bug and would like to start out on my own, still names to think of etc. Lots to learn, with charges, terms and conditions etc. Should I take a course like the NDA or not? Or should I just do some days courses with a local company that I have seen? So many decisions to make. Seem to have purchased some really good books years ago without really knowing, i.e. Merrick & Day, Maureen Whitmore, and have used them to enhance my work. Finding it difficult to set up trade accounts etc but have managed one with Merrick & Day. Would love to have a workroom and dead jealous of the ones I have seen in the gallery. I have picked up lots of tips already.

I came across the forum in error, and now I am hooked. Trouble is you start looking at something and before you now it time has passed. Not to self (must get in more prepared meals, so that I can spend my time surfing and not cooking). You sound a great bunch.

Regards

Anita

Re: Introductions

Hello Anita,

Welcome to this truly addictive world also know as My Decozo!

You will not regret stumbling upon it, 'even if by accident'. Sounds very sensible to get prepared with freezer food. It is just so easy to get lost here, it took me ages to try to get around to reading all the previously posted questions and answers. I never did!

As to courses, I almost signed up for the NDA when I read about it here, but never got around to it. I do think experience counts for a lot and have yet to be asked for my 'qualification' by a client. They seem pretty happy to see the work I've done and hear recommendations. However, I am in total support of work room based training and don't think anything ever comes close to gaining experience from working in a professional work room. If you have the opportunity, take it!

I hope you have luck in setting up your business, there's lots of info on business banking, book keeping, insurance and the like to be found here. Just use the search facility at the top right hand side of all pages.

Look forward to reading your posts!

Comment

Welcome Anita,

lots of folk here, lots of help and advice as well. Ask away and don't ever think that the question is too daft, you will find that someone has asked it before you and got an anwswer. We have all been there and done it at some time, but as you have been warned this site can become addictive,

Enid

Comment

Welcome to the forum Anita, glad you found us.
        You will find lots of great advice, info and general chit chat here, you are among great company here.
        sharon

Comment

Welcomes and hellos from me as well.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Welcome, from me too. All very exciting starting a new business. Good luck!! You won't ever feel on your own with this great site, so many nice clever people that will do there best to help.

Cat C.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Welcome to the forum Anita - I've only just recently joined and it is addictive. Everyone is extremely nice, friendly and more than helpful. I would love to have the opportunity of taking a course, but nothing near me, what I wouldn't give to be able to get to Merrick & Day. I wonder if any of the professionals on this site hold classes/courses I would definately try and travel for a weeks course if one of them did.
              Ursula

Comment

Have you tried this site to see if there are any courses near you? http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=217
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise,
                  Will have a look

Comment

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement!

Look forward to chatting to you all very soon.

Regards
                    Anita

Comment

Working...
                    X