Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Afternoon Everyone - I've joined at last

Hi Folks,

I've been a lurker here for a while and thought it was about time I joined. I discovered this website a while ago and wished I had known about it/ it had been around before 2005- what a lot of knowledgable people and a huge source of information there is here. It would have been great to be able to talk over problems with people who knew what I was speaking about!

A bit about myself. From an early age I have had a keen interest in fabric and garment construction and in my early 20’s this developed into an interest in the construction of window dressings, soft furnishings and upholstery. When I stopped work outside the home to have my family this interest became a second career working firstly for friends and family and then as an ‘outworker’ for a number of interior designers.

Between 1996 and 2005 I ran my own small soft furnishing business, based in NE Scotland. I provided the complete service – from visiting clients in their home and discussing their requirements, taking measurements, designing window treatments, constructing the window dressing and fitting. Latterly, I also provided a workroom service for interior designers in the area.
    In 2005 we moved back to Yorkshire from Scotland where we had lived for over 20 years; since then I have not been involved in the Soft Furnishing trade until last week when I took a position for a local interior designer in their new workroom.

I believe I have a reasonable knowledge and have often found things out the hard way (trial and error) but often this is the best way - although you don't think so at the time! I'm hoping to learn a lot from you all and hopefully will be able to contribute with some ideas of my own.

I have a couple of questions at the moment mainly to do with professional workroom practise which I'll post in the main forum. Hope someone will be able to advise.

Looking forward to chatting with you in the future.

Regards
    J

Re: Good Afternoon Everyone - I've joined at last

Hi, J, welcome to the forum,
    What part of NE Scotland were you in & are you not missing it
    I'm sure you've already discovered how addictive this forum is I look forward to reading lots of post from you once you become a regular which I'm sure you will...
    Regards
    Mairi

Comment

Hi there Jawc,
      Welcome to this brilliant forum. I'm also in the North -East of Scotland, where we've lived for 20 yrs. lots of helpful tips and stories here, for you to have a chuckle about. Good luck with the new job . Kind regards. Helen

Comment

Hi Jawc,

Welcome to the forum. I only joined recently and have found the site brilliant. I'm sure with your knowledge and experience you will be a great help to us all.

Ursula

Comment

Hello J,

Welcome! It sounds as though you have lots of knowledge for us to learn from too.

Hope it goes really well in your new position! All very exciting.

I really must start to time myself from start to finish one of these days. Do you remember those stop clocks from the school science lab? I think I need one for the job - will have to take a look on ebay!

Enjoy the forum.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a good easter. Thanks for such a warm welcome and to all who've left messages.

In reply to your question Mairi, we were in a village just outside Aberdeen to the west. I'm certainly missing the countryside(especially the hills) and friends and some of you may be surprised to know I'm missing the weather. The weather was much better in Aberdeen than down here near York - it's so damp and bitterly cold here; a kind of cold that gets into your bones. Although Aberdeen was much further north the cold was a fresh kind - I was often outside in winter in a T shirt. The summer started late and ended early though.

Janet

Comment

Working...
            X