A struggling new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A struggling new member

Hello folks, so glad I found this very useful forum. I'm in the North East, retired teacher, and I have recently discovered that I rather like sewing and would like to become more proficient.

I'm struggling because I can't seem to post a new topic other than here in Introductions - it must be me. Help, please? I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on the correct way to create what my mother used to call a "housewife" on a pillowcase, the flap bit that tucks in. I can't figure out the sewing sequence. Sorry this is not strictly speaking soft furnishings or curtains, but I hope someone may be able to help.

Many thanks in anticipation.

MaryJo

Re: A struggling new member

Hello MaryJo

Welcome to the forum, nice that you managed to find us! Bedding is soft furnishing enough for here.. With regards to the pillow case - Cut your length of fabric, you can make a pillow case in one continuous length and you will need to hem the top and bottom of the length. With the right side of the fabric together, fold the length of a normal sized pillow case, around 74cm. One side will be larger than the other, fold the extra flap over level with the 74cm piece and machine sew down each side. Turn out and you'll have a pillow case with a flap!

The length pf fabric should be around 172cm long for a 74cm pillow case with 20cm fold.

Hope this helps.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you, Phillip. Your explanation is very clear and straight forward. I'm off to my machine to make it now.

Thank you also, Louise, for your kind attempt to email me. I can't think why my address failed but, here it is again - [email protected]

Wonderful forum, wish I had found it ages ago.

MaryJo

Comment

Hello again

Just reporting success with making these housewife pillowcases. I'm starting with easy projects and, with perseverance and lots of help, I hope to move on to other things. Great sense of satisfaction once something is completed.

Thanks again

MaryJo

Comment

Welcome MaryJo. they are indeed a helpful lot on here. If ever I'm stuck on a project (i'm not a professional, like many of the others on here), I always post and get a wealth of helpful friendly replies. It doesn't matter how 'stupid' the question is either. It's really nice to see goodness in people, especially in the society we currently live in.
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          X