Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from a newbie in Notts

Hi everyone!

I've only just found this forum and I'm looking forward to having a good ol' read - there's so much information here and boy do I have a lot to learn!

I'm in Nottingham and have recently taken advantage of a 'career change opportunity' (lets not mention the 'R' word in these credit crunched times.... ) I know deep down that I've got to go out and get a 'proper' job but I'm considering making soft furnishings as a side line so that i've more than one string to my bow. I've made a few things for myself in the past and have been happy with the results but when it comes to making things for others I get very nervous about my skills.

Hopefully I'll be able to learn from you all - from what I've read so far I think I need to get myself a good book, possibly a course to refine skills and learn a few tricks of the trade......and then go for it!

I'll keep you all posted on (any) progress!

K

Re: Hi from a newbie in Notts

Welcome.......have a good read and I'm sure you'll pick up some tips and ideas. Quite a few new faces have joined recently so hopefully you will all gain confidence and knowledge from each other. That's pretty much what we're all about.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Karen

Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of info, support, help and ideas here - Have you considered doing the NDA course, great starting place and they are based in Nott'm.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hello

I started out by going to soft furnishing classes many moons ago (15 years ago to be precise) as my husband refused to let me spend XXXX number of pounds on curtains for our living room and dining room!!! He bought me a sewing machine and enrolment to night classes!! Having made lots of things for our home and various friends (f.o.c.) and a succession of bad jobs and redundancies, I finally bit the bullet and started my business approx. 4 years ago and have never looked back. It is extremely hard work but I find it very rewarding. I have worked in the industry for over 15 years albeit with a contract furniture maker and then interior designers but no one can take away your own creativity. When I first started the business I had a two day week part time job running alongside because I was scared of not having any income, within 4 months I had given up the part time job and have never looked back.

The very best of luck to you; this site is invaluable and everyone is helpful and friendly and always available to give advice to you.

Yvonne
        Yvonne

Comment

Oh husbands do make me laugh.. They are so funny! My friend bought his wife a large box of soap powder for Christmas one year, he insisted that it was all the the excitement of seeing a well wrapped box under the tree and nothing to do with the contents - She thought it was a new video! That was all she got, a box of Daz... His best one was their 10th anniversary dinner at Morrisons supermarket cafe..

Hilarious! and she puts up with it year in year out.. Oh how we laugh.. Husbands...

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

A couple of chistmas' ago my husband (him again!) bought me one of those electric tape measure things (we were on a real tight budget and only allowed to spend £20 each) he got the Take That and Westlife CD (very romantic I thought) and I got a dodgy electric (battery powered) tape measure which was the worst present I have ever received from anyone! I bought my own Christmas present last year so there was no mistake (an antique sewing box with mother of pearl inlay!)
            Yvonne

Comment

At least it wasnt a set of saucepans lovingly wrapped under the xmas tree! ~That one will go down in the history of husband naff pressies

Anyway , I digress! I just wanted to say a big hello and welcome to the forum from me! The advise is invaluable and the forum support fab,,,enjoy!

Comment

Welcome K. Don't be afraid to ask anytime you need help - there's lots of lovely people here with an absolute wealth of knowledge & experience which they're only too happy to share.

And I'm glad to hear my husband's not the only one! He bought me a frying pan for xmas one year. I nearly hit him with it. Everytime I use it, he reminds me what a great present it was cos I use it so much! But I think he's learnt his lesson and so have I - I buy what I want & give it to him to wrap now!
                Jane

Comment

I think this thread is starting to prove just how practical men are when giving gifts.... How useful are these gifts...

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Welcome Karen

You will have great fun sifted through all the knowledge here.. there is always someone somewhere to answer a query and put you on the right track.

I made it quite clear from the beginning with my husband that I would be offended if he bought me something house related for a present! we are divorced now!

Lol (that wasnt the reason)

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

My husband bought me a dustbin for Christmas once. To be fair to him it was full of real pressies.

A friend of mine once hankered after a big eternity ring for Christmas. Suddenly this mysterious small pressie appeared on the Christmas tree in a ring sized box. She assumed that it was her eternity ring, and made a point of opening it whilst friends and family were round. It was a Spangle sweet! Remember those? I think they are divorced now too!

Seriously the NDA course was a good starting point for me too. It gave me the confidence to make for other people, and charge for it!

Sue.

Comment

Thank you all for your welcome and encouragement - I can see I've landed in a good place here!

I'm hugely encouraged by your stories (of success, not the christmas presents!) and will try to remember that we all have to start somewhere so not to get discouraged by mistakes and mishaps along the way. I'm sure there'll be a few of these - but it happens to the best of us, right?!

K

Comment

Hi Kara and welcome.

Yes, we are all here to help, and yes, we have all made mistakes and yes, we have all asked silly questions........no question is too silly at the start, just ask it..... and yes we have all learnt from the mistakes and answers to the questions.

And yes, most of us have husbands who buy silly presents and never seem to learn from their mistakes and it can be fun sometimes when the topic digresses.

Word of warning however.......my.decozo.com can become very, very, very compulsive.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                          X