Proportions - Top treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proportions - Top treatments

Even the most elaborate, well made window treatment can be completely ruined and look out of place if the initial design proportions are wrong. Getting the proportions right before starting the job is crucial. I'm sure we've all made design mistakes and in hindsight realised a particular window treatment could have looked a whole lot better. Luckily the client very rarely notices our mistakes - but we do, and we are our own worst critics.

As a general rule of thumb valances and swags should be 1/5 to 1/6 of the total treatment length. The proportion of the end tails should be at least twice the length of the swag. Pelmets are better suited to 1/6 of the total treatment length, but can be as little as 1/8 depending on the ceiling height. The side drop of a lambrequin is discretionary but should be at least 1/3 of the total treatment length and can go right to the floor, this is dictated only by design. However, the middle proportions should fall within 1/5th to 1/6th of the total treatment length.

Take into account the natural light that comes through the window and adjust accordingly; this is a rule of thumb, it is not set in stone and should be considered only as a guide line for the overall treatment.

Pelmet boards should be placed as close to the coving as possible; the space between the window recess and coving, also known as the "dead space" can be covered with your chosen top treatment giving the window height and the treatment a more dramatic look.

I would add that the 1/6 rule is preferable in new houses when the ceiling heights are around 240cm. The 1/5 rule is good for older properties ceiling heights 280cm and above. I would never use a 1/5 on a valance in a new home with a ceiling height of 240. If anything 1/6 can be reduced slightly. That’s been my experience having worked in new homes, 1930’s properties and Georgian/Victorian.

Karen Rhodes Design
    Last edited by Schuhby; 9 May 2011, 19:02.
    MyDecozo Admin
Working...
X