Calculating spaces using pocket tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating spaces using pocket tape.

• 1. decide the deepest point of the track/battenthat the blind will hang from and deduct this from the finished length of your blind.
    • 2. Divide the remaining by an odd number - for a blind of your size I would suggest you divide by 7. 4 rods will be to many for a blind of this size and remember, rods aren't required towards the top.
    • 3. Your first length of rod tape should be stitched onto the blind exactly as the calculated figure states - The remaining tapes should be at double the calculation.
    Your calculations should look like this and I'm assuming the batten the blind will attach too is 5cm at the deepest point. I work in cm also.

Finished length: 102cm

Minus batten : 5cm

This leaves us with the total length for pleating: 97cm

Divide 97cm by an odd number until you're happy with the fold size, for this blind I would suggest 7.

97 divide 7 = 13.85 - round up to 14cm.

Your first rod will go at 14cm from the bottom, double this figure and place the second and third rods 28 cm above each other.

Your 1st pocket always goes in at a single calculation, any rods after that always go in at double the 1st calculation.

Once the blind is pulled up, you will have 7 folds created by 3 rods, and should fold up to 19/20cm - This is the batten plus the first single measurement.

This calculation method is only suitable for using pocket tape. Weight bars should be used in the hem to create a nice crisp look to the blind and wooden dowels or fibreglass rods should be inserted.

I've attached two pictures, one showing the side of a roman blind and the other showing the back of a roman blind. You'll notice the rods aren't put at the top because the track is basically the top rod.

Looking at the side view, I have used the cord lock at the top as my deepest point on the head rail - This is minused from the length because the blind can not pull up past it. You can see from the side view that the blind has been pulled to the 3rd rod, if I pull it up to the top it would form another fold without the need for another rod because the track will stop the blind at the required point.

If fully pulled up you'd see 7 folds (sections) looking at the side view now, you can see five folds (sections) and this is the reason for dividing by the odd number.

The reason we divide by an odd number is because we're calculating the number of folds the rods will produce, you can see by the side view each rod produces the folds.

NB. if making a blind to sit outside the recess, allow extra fabric to fold over the top of the track to form a neater finish and stop the light streaming through the top of the tracking.
    Last edited by Schuhby; 3 May 2011, 11:21.
    MyDecozo Admin
Working...
X