Third drop pattern repeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third drop pattern repeat

i am using a Christopher Farr carnival fabric which has a vertical repeat of 98.4 and a THIRD drop pattern match of 32.8.
    When I try and cut in the normal half drop way, with A and B cuts, they still don’t match on one selvedge.
    I am wondering if I need A B and C cuts?
    my pair of curtain has three drops per side so I figure A cuts on both leading edges, followed by B cuts ( dropped by 32. followed by C cuts ( dropped by 65.6)??
    I would dearly welcome some advice on this before I start cutting
    Julie

I have been working on this and I think I do need ABC cuts.
    The left curtain works with CBA with A as the leading edge.
    However, when I try to mirror image the right curtain it does not work.
    it appears that the right curtain needs to be CBA with C as the leading edge.
    The pattern will move across the curtain when closed rather than being mirror image.
    Could anyone confirm if I am on the right track please
    Julie

Comment

This should work for you - Only you're counting down a 1/3. Pin out first..

There are two methods for calculating so first you need to decide which you need to use - this depends on the relationship between your required cut length and the pattern repeat. Let's assume for the purposes of this explanation that the fabric has a 60cm half drop repeat. Work out your ideal cuts (drop plus turnings).

Method A - use this if your required cut is just over a whole number of repeats and up to an including a whole number and a half repeats - for example if your cuts are say 241cm to 270cm. The number of repeats per drop will always be 'something and a half'. Your fabric required calculation is (number of repeats per drop x number of drops) + 1. Example - your minimum required cut is 250cm - your drops will be 270cm which is 4.5 repeats. If you require 7 drops the calculation will be (4.5 x 7) +1 which is 32.5 repeats or 19.5 metres.

Method B - use this if your required cut is just over a whole number and a half repeats and up to an including a whole number of repeats - for example if your cuts are say 271cm to 300cm. The number of repeats per drop will always be a whole number. Your fabric required calculation is (number of repeats per drop x number of drops) + 1. Example - your minimum required cut is 280cm - your drops will be 300cm which is 5 repeats. If you require 7 drops the calculation will be (5 x 7) +1 which is 36 repeats or 21.6 metres.

Marking and cutting:

Method A - decide on your ideal starting point on the fabric and mark with a pin (you have ordered an extra repeat to allow you to do this). Round your ideal cut up to the next half repeat - so if your ideal cut is 241cm round up to 270cm which is 4.5 repeats – you did this above when calculating the fabric required. Measure the 270cm / 4.5 repeats and mark with a pin (this is drop number 1). Measure the next 270cm from the pin (this is drop number 2). This will have a different starting point to drop number 1. Measure the next 270 from the last pin - this is drop number 3 and will be identical to drop number 1. Continue this way until all drops have been marked out (or cut if you are brave)- they will all be cut in order.

Method B - decide on your ideal starting point and mark with a pin as above. Round your ideal cut up to the next full repeat - so if your ideal cut is 271cm round up to 300cm which is 5 repeats – you did this above when calculating the fabric required. Measure 300cm / 5 repeats and mark with a pin - this is drop number 1. Measure (and cut) another 5 repeats - this is drop number 3. Continue until all odd numbered drops have been cut. Now move down the fabric by half a repeat - this is wastage but it brings you to the starting point for all your even numbered drops. Mark another 5 repeats from the point you have marked which is drop number 2 and continue until all even numbered drops have been cut. With this method you shouldn't waste more than half a repeat when deciding on your starting point as you can always cut all the even numbered drops first.
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
      X