Seaming widths together.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seaming widths together.

Thank you all so much! I was having a bit of a brain cell malfunction, but all is clear now!

I will go home and cut curtain lengths tonight!

Kind regards, Jessie
    I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Originally posted by sas
      I use this method nearly all the time - the seams lie nice and flat for one thing. I just pin into place without basting and run through the machine. I find I have better pattern matching results seaming this way, but it does take a little practice to get the sewing line in the right place for perfect matching (see Philip's post).
      I totally agree - I use this method nearly all the time and it does give a better pattern match and yes Philip is right too!
      Yvonne

Comment

We also use this method for joining silk... it stops any light coming thru the seams.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I might just try this next time!
          Chris

Comment

I have tried this but found that it made my seam very rigid and I would not hang correctly. Maybe I will try again if so many other people use the method.
            Julie
            Julie

Comment

I have also tried this method. It certainly makes pattern matching easier but I also felt it made the seam quite rigid and more obvious.
              Kind regards
              Colina

Comment

I find it a useful technique - really quick and easy to pattern match most fabrics. Like most things, experience tells you when to use it, and when not.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I tried it today with a Roman blind. I found that I did lose a little of the matching in the stitching line. I also found that it left quite a ridge in the seam. I tried it again using a very small zig -zig. This made the seam softer, but I kept missing some of the seam as I was trying to get really close to the edge!! It took me longer than normal so I shall continue with my normal method on curtains, but will use this on loose covers as it is a stronger seam.
                  Julie
                  Julie

Comment

As you live you learn, now I've just completed seaming 4 pairs of width and a half via slip stitching on the right side then machine stitching the seams together now I will try this method on the next set. thanks.

Comment

Hi, I use this method all the time since it's really easy to pattern match exactly. I find it best to iron over the folded width before putting it through the machine.
                      Lizziesi
                      Warm Regards,

Lizzie
                      Signature Interiors

Comment

I use this method for seaming blackout lining. For those of you who have industrial machines you can get a compensating foot. One of the toes is sprung and it rides exactly next to the fold. Great for even top stitching. They come in various widths IE 1/16 inch, 1/8 inch this is the relationship of the needle to the fold.

Comment

Compensating foot and top stitched seam

Comment

Working...
                          X