Seaming widths together.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaming widths together.

I learn't something new from my outworkers the other day. When seaming fabrics together there is a technique for making sure when you pull gently on the seam you do not see the tiny gaps inbetween the stitches. This would be more apparent when using a larger stitch. Place right sides together as normal. Then turn back the required seam allowance of the width on top. Then stitch close to the fold line you have just turned back.When you fold over to the right side you have a normal looking seam but cannot pull it apart to see inbetween the stitches. Many of you may already be familiar with this technique, I wasn't but thought it would be appropriate for this section. Please let us know if any one else uses this technique.
    Last edited by Schuhby; 28th April 2011, 15:56.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Seaming widths together.

Wow thats a fab top tip!
    So, how do you stop the fabric from moving when putting it through the machine when stitching, if turning back the seam and tacking is it the correct way or would you need to pin it in place? I am slightly confused ~which infact isnt hard as I am a visual learner lol!!!

Comment

in theory you would see the pattern matching wouldnt you - I shall have to try it.
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

to be honest I haven't tried it yet but if doing linings then i would put it straight thru my machine no pins.
        For pattern matching I would pin but I assume that you would need to constantly adjust to make sure the pattern matched.
        I have seen this done lots of times on curtains which are massed produced when I have been asked to do alterations and always wondered why.
        Have any of you ever seen this in a book, or been show it on a training course.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

it does work - have just learned how to pattern match this way on the NDA course

Click image for larger version

Name:	jane.jpg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	114513
          Last edited by Schuhby; 28th April 2011, 16:16.
          Jane

Comment

Now I wish I'd read this before I hand basted and sewed four double width curtains in an embroidered silky fabric that slipped and slid and drove me nuts. I ended up hand slip stitching each seam before machine sewing in order to pattern match properly, and even then it's not absolutely perfect as the embroidery's pulled the fabric a little off grain in places. This would have quite possibly solved my problem - I'm off to try it with an offcut!

Comment

Please note..

When joining the fabrics using this method, you must lay it a few mm's off line from the back to allow for the fold over - Stitch very close to the edge.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

This might seem a silly question ,but what do you all do when there is no turn over pattern because the join/pattern match is so close to the selvege

Comment

I use this method nearly all the time - the seams lie nice and flat for one thing. I just pin into place without basting and run through the machine. I find I have better pattern matching results seaming this way, but it does take a little practice to get the sewing line in the right place for perfect matching (see Philip's post).
                  T - if the pattern is close to the selvedge, then you would have to take the matching to the next match closest along the width OR pin right sides together as normal if you can get away with it.

Sas

Comment

hi i had to do this for nda course but i had problems i was doing everything right putting the pins in right but the fabric kept moving in my machine when sewing i knew it was to do with my foot pressure but having a domestic machine i had set pressure so i could not adjust it like a industrial so i had to buy a quilters foot which gave me a even feed and made the pattern match perfect so if your like me and have a set pressure try a quilter foot.
                    esther

Comment

I used to do this, but found that the seam was very rigid and didn't drape very well. Maybe my tension was wrong, but I may give it another go. As I have found that when hanging curtains in the daytime, the light does come through the seams, especially where the lining seam lines up perfectly.

Sue.

Comment

Having looked on some of the american forums they seem to use an adesive double sided tape to join their widths before sewing? I thought of trying that, has anyone else seen this and does it work ?

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm just beginning a new curtain project, and need to join lengths of patterned fabric.

I'm sure this technique would be really useful to me, but I really don't understand how it works. It's probably me being thick, but could someone explain how to do it, perhaps using bullet points?

As I understand it from the description, you fold the seam allowance back, and stitch along the folded back SA and the second width, but it just doesn't seem right.

Am I missing something?

Jessie
                          I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

HI Jessie,
                            Lay fabrics right sides together
                            fold back the seam allowance of the uppermost fabric
                            stitch very close the to the fold through three layers of fabric (two from the top and one on the bottom)
                            press seam open.

You may have to experiment to get the pattern match right on the front.

Hope this helps

Regards
                            Pen
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Jessie - if you are finding it difficult to see how this works......

Lay one piece of fabric face up on the table/floor wherever it will lay flat. Place the second piece next to it and start lining it up to see where the pattern matches. Then turn in a few centimetres (enough to make a stable seam) down the edge of the top piece of fabric and overlap the pieces until the the pattern matches again. Crease part of the fold with your finger and it will show you how much to turn in. If the fabric is suitable, you could press this fold down the length of the whole piece.

Then flip the top fabric over so the pieces are right sides together and you should see where the pattern matches on the 'back' of the curtain. When you are ready to sew, stitch as close to the fold as you can.

This may sound long-winded but once you have done it a few times it will get a lot easier.
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X