Making BIG Curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making BIG Curtains

Daft question but how do you guys manage working large widths of fabric, especially interlined curtains if you cutting table is a bit small.
    I know the answer is get a bigger table, but I am doing a big rush job at the moment and really struggling, and tips or techniques.
    Regards
    Julie
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Re: Making BIG Curtains

For a long time, I worked on a table 1m wide x 1.5m long - a nightmare when you're trying to make long or wide curtains. I found the secret was folding, using bricks covered in interlining & fabric as weights and some of those big clamps M&D sell. I do symphathise........good luck with this job & I hope you get a big table soon.
    Jane

Comment

I've always found the secret of big curtains is pinning. Don't ever move the widths across or up the table until each bit is pinned, and always trust that you have put the pins in the right place. Leave them in until the last moment, but always check when you add the next layer, (i.e. lining if you have interlined the curtains), that you remove the first pins and replace with pins in the top layer. If I have to measure lengths longer than my table, I put pins in at a certain length from the hem, and then measure up from there in the next manouevre. That probably all sounds like gobbledygook!
      Rosannagh

Comment

Keep everything square too using the side and end of your table or a very large square AND, if there's enough money in the job, buy yourself a couple of huge sheets of MDF to put on the dining table. Whilst the height won't be ideal for your back you will be amazed at the amount of time you save in your makeup. Good luck.

Comment

Hi
          I push everything to the walls and lay everything out flat on the lounge floor, remembering to shut the cat out who likes to be involved in everything!!
          Good luck
          Susie

Comment

Three ways really, fold the fabric, clamp it to your table and add weights to keep it in place. It worked for me for years untill I was able to get larger tables. Go Brave and good luck.

Comment

You could always come and use my table (3m x 2m) if you're getting desperate! Quite welcome to do so if you're struggling, although don't know whether it would be worth the trek south ...

Jackie

Comment

Great feedbacks here about making big curtains. Surely i got a lot of useful information.

Comment

Working...
                X