Altering ready made curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering ready made curtains

When changing the drop of new ready made curtains ALWAYS measure the new total drop required at various points across the curtain. Do not be tempted to simply take up the hem by the required amount. Experience of many on this site has found that even curtains from well known and trusted high street department stores can have as much as 2cm difference between curtains in a pair, or even one side of a wide curtain to the other.

If they are pencil pleat tape, it is easiest to remove the tape, get the curtains to the new drop, then sew the tape back on again. Other headings such as eyelet have to be altered at the bottom.

Also, beware of tab top panels as the tabs can vary in length, make sure you measure the entire drop of the panel + tab.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Altering ready made curtains

On eyelet i measure from top down, on pencil i measure from bottom up, usually. Every pair of ready made curtains i have shortened had not been the same lenght all the way across so i never just measure the amount to be shortened. Good advice Louise.
    sharon

Comment

Oh yes, Louise, I wouldn't just chop off the amount they wanted them shortened, I would ask for the new finished length and measure that from the bottom up. Of course with eyelet curtains, it would have to be from the top down!
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Always worth checking hems and tops to see where the pattern actually matches; most readymade curtain shortening is actual making, with fabric that's been vaguely cut to length for you. The only pair I ever remember not having a problem with were £8 fron Primark, all the others have been horrors, the more expensive the worse.

And it's impossible to get the packing creases out... didn't help that I had a useless iron for years... "it's new, this must be how irons are meant to work".

Comment

Although I don't like working with ready mades, a job is a job, but you are right Nic about the folds. It never ceases to amaze me how anyone would buy curtains that were packed into a plastic wrapper the size of a shirt. I don't suppose the retailer bothers as long as they are sold, but the creases never come out and it would drive me crazy if they were mine. I suppose that if its the fabric that matches everything else and its the one you want................but its not an cheap way of doing it, unless one goes to Primark!!

B Hol over ladies and gents, back to work.
          Enid

Comment

It kills me how they can get away with 'covering their backs' by the use of a size label stating "Approximately" . For example Approximately 90" x 66". I don't think we would get away with that, do you?

Comment

I go past a pub in town, and they have ready mades at the windows. They haven't pulled up the tapes, so even when closed there is too much fullness, they are too long and drape over the backs of the benches below the windows, and they are creased like anything! I'm sure they didn't even get the iron out.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
              X