Large cones of thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large cones of thread

If you want to use the large cones of thread on a domestic machine you can stand them in a suitably large clean jar, kitchen measuring jug, wine cooler etc. and position behind your machine so that the thread runs from approimately the same place as from a 'normal' reel. Then thread the machine as normal and the thread should run cleanly.

Alternatively you can make a stand from a block of wood and piece of dowl (rather like a kitchen roll holder) and put the cone on that. Or, you can buy a similar item from sewing suppliers, e.g. cone thread holder at http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/acatalog/Noti ... dgets.html
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Large cones of thread

Hi

That link wasnt a cone thread holder - but a very useful gadget that did small tacks - could it be used for spot tacking/stab stitch??

Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Comment

Kathy that is a tagging gun ...
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi

Sorry to follow the tangent this thread's now going along, but did you read the list of uses for a tagging gun? Can you imagine tagging pairs of dirty socks before washing them? One domestic use I have found, though, is to tag a spring/autumn duvet pair together to prevent bunching and separating in the cover.

Angie

Comment

Ok You have one of those - dont you Philip - do you use it on roman blinds?
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

No, I use it for pinch pleats, tacking and keeping swags in place after dressing.
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have just followed the link which Simply Sewing put up in the first post and I am staggered by the number of useful items there are on the list as you scroll down. I have coppied it to my favourites and will be scrutinising it later. The thread holder and thread guide refered to in her post is about three quarters the way down the list. Very very useful for you curtain makers who still use domestic machines.

Comment

My industrial is poorly at the moment, so have had to resort to my domestic. I didn't have a glass jar large enough, so I used an empty 2 litre plastic bottle, just cut the bottom off, turn it upside down over the cone (thread the thread through a needle to help it to drop through the bottle opening).

Regards
                Andrea
                Regards

Andrea

Comment

Wine bottle does the trick too - there's usually one about somewhere here, empty or full! Won't be tagging dirty socks btw...

Comment

A couple of handy tips here, I never thought of the plastic bottle. I push an old empty spool inside the large cone and use it that way , but I must admit it can wobblye around a bit. Will try it later.......off to do mince pies now.

Enid

PS the trouble with gadgets is that they are very useful when in use, but a bit like Tupperware.....can take up a lot of space when not ..

Comment

Working...
                    X