Glueing cleats to tiles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glueing cleats to tiles.

There has been a JML advert on TV recently for a glue called Laser Bond.
    This gave me a thought about fixing cleats (or other small items) to porcelain tiles etc, so I thought I would give it a try on a spare tile in the workroom.
    The applicator has a glue a tube and an ultra-violet light. The glue is cured by the UV light in a few seconds.
    Because the UV has to get to the glue I opted for a transparent cleat for the test, so that the light could pass through it.
    Only a small amount of the glue is needed, onto the flat back of the cleat. Place into the required position and then shine the UV light at it.
    Within 10 seconds it was firmly attached and resists all attempts to pull/twist it off.

A useful addition to the toolbox

http://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/hom...ve-and-filler/
    John Quine
    Brooke Design
    Fylde Coast

Re: Glueing cleats to tiles.

Thanks for the tip John- could be very useful. Would it work for fixing cleats to dodgy plaster do you think? I always dread that feeling of crumbling plaster and two small screw holes falling into a crater!

Best wishes
    Liz

Comment

I wouldn't use it on plaster as you are only fixing it to the surface and even with good plaster you would be easily able to pull the top surface of the plaster away.
      For that you need longer thin screws so that you can attach to the bricks behind the plaster.
      John Quine
      Brooke Design
      Fylde Coast

Comment

Thank you for the advice John.

I saw the Laser Bond stuff on sale in our local Asda today, so I might treat myself to some anyway!

Best wishes
        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Quiney View Post
          There has been a JML advert on TV recently for a glue called Laser Bond.
          This gave me a thought about fixing cleats (or other small items) to porcelain tiles etc, so I thought I would give it a try on a spare tile in the workroom.
          The applicator has a glue a tube and an ultra-violet light. The glue is cured by the UV light in a few seconds.
          Because the UV has to get to the glue I opted for a transparent cleat for the test, so that the light could pass through it.
          Only a small amount of the glue is needed, onto the flat back of the cleat. Place into the required position and then shine the UV light at it.
          Within 10 seconds it was firmly attached and resists all attempts to pull/twist it off.

A useful addition to the toolbox

http://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/hom...ve-and-filler/
          Hello John, do you think this would work for fitting a chain tidy to uPVC? Does anyone else have any suggestions?
          KarenS

Comment

Not sure about a chain tidy but I had a customer who used ?Monkey glue??? To glue his cleat to UPVC frames........his risk but it worked a treat, so maybe worth a try.

Comment

Yes, providing it is a clear one.
              As I mentioned in my original post, the UV light has to get to the adhesive to cure it. It will adhere to any firm non-porous surface.
              John Quine
              Brooke Design
              Fylde Coast

Comment

Enid - do you mean Gorilla Glue???
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Might have been, it was his suggestions so I left him to it. It was a clear glue and they were clear cleats so the light would get at them. Funny thing, it was a roman track designed for UPVC window which adhered to the frame, so no screwing but the cleats came with screws so one still had to screw into the frame at the sides, hence the glue idea.

Comment

Many thanks everyone for your input.
                    KarenS

Comment

Working...
                    X