Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washable Fabric for Loose Covers

Morning All,

Hope you are all having a good bank holiday weekend!

Can anyone suggest any fabric that is suitable for loose covers that is washable. I have suggested a couple of fabrics from Wemyss and Villa Nova Seville Leaf, however the client is very worried that the fabrics are very thin although they do offer a rub test of 25,000. They are ideally looking for cotton. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Washable Fabric for Loose Covers

Hi Karen

A good few years back I used this fabric. Nobilis - Cosy- 63% cotton 37% linen washable at 30 degrees. I made up box cushions for the kitchen and they have been washed over and over and they still look good. Its quite thick. It was six years ago so not sure if this fabric will still be around. You could check.

Good luck with the loose covers. I always do a body swerve when anyone mentions those. Probably more work than upholstery only customers don't realise. I did one for my City and Guilds.
    Karen Rhodes
    Karen Rhodes Design
    Pole Design

Comment

Most cottons might shrink. I test for this by cutting two samples and boiling one. It's possible to preshrink cotton canvas in a really hot bath, and drip dry it (yes, I know, insane).This also deals with fugitive dye.
      John Lewis do a lovely soft cotton canvas in lots of colours, which washes beautifully. So did the late lamented Croft Mill.
      Patterned fabric? I always advise dryclean, although personally, I'll wash anything.
      Otherwise, look for preshrunk fabric, and "finished" fabric.
      Cotton can shrink by up to 16%, and change length according to humidity. I did some kitchen curtains which shrank at the window simply from cooking steam.Luckily they were small, and for a friend, and another friend who has a degree in textile physics(!) explained this.
      There are some good viscose mixes which might be a better bet, they have a nice handle these days.

Comment

Its a nice idea to prewash but commercially theres not the time.

If it says washable on the label then its washable. It should then be the liability of the manufacturer if there is so much shrinkage that a problem occurs. Otherwise fabrics are labelled dry clean only.

My cushions did not shrink so you would notice and the care label says washable at 30 degrees
        Karen Rhodes
        Karen Rhodes Design
        Pole Design

Comment

Hi Karen,
          Linwood Kendal are washable dobby weaves, and Blendworth Union Square are a good range of plain colours, also washable. Just two I've found with a quick look through.

I wouldn't wash fabrics before making them up - they never look as good afterwards!!
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I've only prewashed fabric where there are lots of small children, and I got the customer to do it. I really shouldn't make my customers do the work... Plain weaves and suchlike are OK, I wouldn't wash a print, it does spoil the finish.

Comment

Hi
              You could try Jane Churchill Chester washable cotton linen or Manuel Canovas Cotton club 2 washable
              Cheers
              Clark

Comment

Working...
              X