• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lisa
    One Needle
    • Jun 2008

swag patterns

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where to buy good swag patterns from, something like what Bev has used in her photos. I've waisted money on the M & D ones, but unfortunately i'm not keen on those ones as they pleat up at the same point. I've learnt how to make my own at the NDA course but for some reason I can't get the fold to drape without a slight kink. Please help.
  • Schuhby
    Administrator
    • Jan 2008

Re: swag patterns

Hi Lisa

Firstly welcome to the forum! I hope to see you around joining in with the forum... Lorna Anne patterns are available and are very easy to use, the box contains several size variations also. Complete with instructions and video.

You can buy them from Pretty frills and other places - They also come up on ebay quite often.

Philip

Pretty frills link

[attachment=0:3s8o2a89]laks.jpg[/attachment:3s8o2a89]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

• Louise
      Administrator
      • Feb 2008

I bought a great pole swag (sometimes called scarf valance) pattern from a company in the US called M'Fay - they are listed in the suppliers A-Z which you can find here [urlnew:1yofdybg]http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=179[/urlnew:1yofdybg].

They have patterns for every kind of swag, valance, pelmet (in the US this is called a cornice) you could imagine and more. You have to wait a few weeks for delivery and watch out for import tax if you order lots of patterns but they are worth it. They are sturdy paper patterns with clear instructions, including how to alter them to fit your setting if required.

There are also other companies like [urlnew:1yofdybg]http://www.patternsplus.com/index.htm[/urlnew:1yofdybg] - again in the US.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

• clarkgriswald
        Three Needles
        • Jun 2008

Hi Lisa
        We use the Parkhill Swags & Tails system.
        We have had it for a while and although I think it was a bit pricey to start with, it has certainly paid for itself and makes fitting very straightforward. Comes with a video(probably dvd now) and a tail pleating jig.
        I have heard that 2nd hand ones sometime come up on ebay
        Hope this is of interest
        Clark

Comment

• alic
          Needle & Thread
          • Feb 2008

Hi Lisa i also use the Parker Hilll swags and tail system like clarke said it is very expensive i bought mine about 5 years ago after seeing them at the nec birmingham trade fair it has paid off though as the time saved is worth a fortune and the swags turn out beautifully each time i dont tend to use the tail pleater uper much though
          the accompanying video is very informative takes a bit of practice but once worked out how to arrive at the size of swags its amazing x

Comment

• BEV
            Two Needles
            • Feb 2008

Hi Lisa,

I too have the Parkhill swag & tail system, only bought it this year and did use it to make the swags you mentioned. I also have the Lorna Anne pattern and I would say that both do exactly the same swag. The only difference being is that with the Parkhill system you can have many different widths and depths of swag, the Lorna Anne pattern is not as adjustable. Lorna Anne kits can be purchased on Ebay for around £12.

Bev
            Bev

The Window Dresser

Comment

• lisa
              One Needle
              • Jun 2008

Thank you everyone for the replies, this site is amazing so much information available in minutes.
              I love the parkhill system shame quite expensive for me as i'm just making curtains in my spare time from home and still trying to build my confidence. Would be a good idea if someone would sell individual patterns made with the system on ebay.

Comment

• Schuhby
                Administrator
                • Jan 2008

Hi Lisa

The Lorna Ann patterns are perfect for you, and like Bev points out, they are the same at the Parkhill swag.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

• Karen
                  Three Needles
                  • Jan 2008

Does nobody use the Merrick and Day patterns?

I love these and can be easily adapted to make wider tails etc. The supplementary patterns are good too. Not expensive and never had a problem.

They drape beautifully.
                  Karen Rhodes
                  Karen Rhodes Design
                  Pole Design

Comment

• thecurtainmaker
                    Pins & Needles
                    • May 2008

I've used the Merrick & Day patterns, but a long time ago. I think I found them a bit restricting in that the sizes are preset. I normally draft my own patterns - I found I can then get exactly the sizes I need.
                    Regards
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

• Karen
                      Three Needles
                      • Jan 2008

Hi Pen,

I did not find that at all with the M&D patterns. I have never used them as they come so far.

You can use the supplementary patterns but even if you do not have them you can alter the size of the swag easily by using the size nearest and because they are cut on the fold alter accordingly to get the exact size to the centimetre. You can do a mock up to check it will hang as you desire.

I only did a mock up once and now have the confidence to do the alterations without. I am not sure if people realise that these patterns are for guidance only. Its so simple to adjust the width by cutting accordingly on the fold of the fabric. Even easier with the supplementary patterns. I have never adjusted the length of the swag as the 55cm will fit up to 320cm drop. The 45cm one can be used on lower ceilings from about 220cm - 270cm. Although I prefer swags with curtains on high ceiling heights.
                      Karen Rhodes
                      Karen Rhodes Design
                      Pole Design

Comment

• Schuhby
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2008

I'm with Karen on this - the size of the swag, both M&D and Lorna Anne can be easily increased, or decreased on the fold.. Be careful to get the bottom curve right though...

Picture shows a typical M&D swag pattern, mine are transfered onto pattern plastic with seam allowances added - Lay on the fabric, straight edge on fold.

Pattern plastic: lay over pattern, trace, lightly score and tear. Easy to use and last forever!

Philip

[attachment=0:1fx70tdx]swag1.jpg[/attachment:1fx70tdx]

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

• lisa
                          One Needle
                          • Jun 2008

I bought the Lorna Anne kit and have managed to make beautiful swags with it so quickly , very pleased so thankyou everyone for advice.

Comment

• Schuhby
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2008

Any pictures for the gallery, Lisa?

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                            X