cleats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleats

I'm just about to fit some Tulip tracks in a conservatory that are self adhesive - no need to drill into those precious plastic frames! However I've had a thought ...... I need to fit some cleats as well. Does anybody know of a supplier of (strong) self adhesive cleats?
    Jacqui
    Quarndon Curtain Design

Re: cleats

I think I was having a bit of a moment! The tracks are supplied with cord locks so I won't need cleats (is that how you spell them?) ...... But I'd still be interested to know .....
    Jacqui
    Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Jacqui, wont you need to have the cord wound onto cleats as well? When the blinds are pulled up you will have a lot of cord(s) hanging down & if the cords go into a joiner wont they constitute a loop above the joiner? I used cord lock headrails on a job & installed cleats as well for all the cord.
      KarenS

Comment

Yes, I agree with Karen on this. I had a conversation with a lady at M&D on this very subject only last week, and she agreed you'd need a cleat as well as a cord lock.

Kate

Comment

I have severe reservations about using anything self-adhesive, especially in conservatories.
          In the past I have had a few instances where self-adhesive parts have become unstuck as soon as there was a hint of any warmth.
          John Quine
          Brooke Design
          Fylde Coast

Comment

Yep - ok I get your points .... I ordered a roll of Trimfix from M&D only last week for another job. Now why couldn't I use this on this job. Use clear cleats (which are flat on the back) and just apply a little of this, stick it and wait for it to go off ....?

Just a thought ....

And by the way John - I've been assured by Tulip that these self adhesive tracks are suitable for conservatories. If they work (which I have every confidence they will) that will be great news. I'll keep you up to date ...
            Last edited by JacquiF; 26th October 2015, 19:23. Reason: Additonal info
            Jacqui
            Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Thanks Jacqui - I'm sure lots of us would be very interested to hear how you get on with this.

Yes, the Trimfix does say it can be used on all sorts of surfaces doesn't it?
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by JacquiF View Post
                I'm just about to fit some Tulip tracks in a conservatory that are self adhesive - no need to drill into those precious plastic frames! However I've had a thought ...... I need to fit some cleats as well. Does anybody know of a supplier of (strong) self adhesive cleats?
                HI Jacqui F

You need to fit the cleat that would have come with the kit if you ordered the kit version of the Compact 20:02 or should have ordered one if using components. The cord from the blind should go through the cord lock, collected in the Safety cord Tassel so 3 or 4 cords go into one and then the single cord from that should be wound round a cleat so there is no "free" cord. Let me or Bill know if you need some cleats to ensure compliance. Best thing to use to stick the cleat rather than screw it is one of the proprietary upvc/plastic adhesives that will ensure a good bond, the "NoNails" tape could also be used. Hope this helps you.

As far as the suitability of using the self adhesive profile, I have had a piece on test in my conservatory for over 7 months and it shows no sign of the adhesive ageing or becoming less secure. The manufacturer guarantees the adhesive to Tulip so we have no issues or concerns in its use in conservatories. Hope it all goes well.

Comment

Yes I have had this issue before. The good thing is that a track with a cord lock supports the weight of the blind rather than the cleat taking the weight so self adhesive does work. I have done the same on UPVC doors.

Comment

Bumping this one up as I have some blinds on the go using this very track.......apart from making sure that the headrails are level, are there any other pitfalls that I should be aware of????????
                    Enid

Comment

The cleats that you use do not have to be from the same manufacturer. I checked this out with the BBSA ages ago. So as long as the cleat does the job of holding all the cord (You will probably need two) then you can use any cleat you want.

Kind Regards
                      Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X