Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globaltex Rep coming round..

Hi there.
    I have a Globaltex Rep coming round on Monday and Im wondering a few things.
    Firstly I make small items like cushion covers etc and although its doing very well I will only want small amounts at a time - will that be an option?
    Also I sell alot of my items online so at the minute I really dont need any sample books, Do I have to buy books before I can buy through them? and if so does anyone know how much they are? Im a sole trader and really dont want to pay out large sums of money all in one go so If i do have to is it a done thing to spread the payments out? I also only want to buy fabrics from the modern classics range, so if i do have to purchase a hanger I only want the one for that range, am I able to do that? alot of questions..So i guess Im looking for any advice from anyone who has delt with Globaltex before as I dont want to seem stupid when she comes round.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Briony

Re: Globaltex Rep coming round..

Sorry - I don't have an account with them but I'm sure someone here will have..........

On a general note, most suppliers will sell small amounts (perhaps 50cm minimum) but you will find the shipping expensive - around £7-£8 for small orders. Some suppliers have a minimum number of books/hangers to buy, others not. Be prepared to work on a pro forma basis to start with.

If dealing direct with a fabric supplier does not work out, you might find someone here, or an online 'shop', that you can build a relationship with if you are going to be making regular orders.

Hope it goes well.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Do make sure you can't buy the Globaltex fabrics cheaper at your local Dunelm, while they still do fabrics....

Comment

Some fabric companies will post small quantities, rather than use a courier.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I have an account with Clarke and Clarke (Formally Globaltex) and all orders under £300 net are subject to a £10.00 delivery charge.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Oh Philip!
            Do you mind my asking roughly how much per metre their cottons are? Its the Dottys, Tillys and LuLu Strip that im interested in. I already get a discount at Dunelm Mill so I currenlty get it for £5.94 p/m am I kidding myself thinking I might get it for that much or less? and do you have to purchase Sample books to open and account? and do they cost alot?
            Sorry for the inquisition...
            Many Thanks
            Briony

Comment

I would keep your pennies in your pocket!

One of the reasons I no longer invest in Globaltex fabrics is because it can be bought online and in the " big" stores for less than you will get it trade!

I have had many a heated discussion but to no avail

Id stick with how you get it from currently.

I;d be interested in what your rep says about it all though

Comment

Briony, you're getting that for less than trade which would suggest it's a second.. If you're happy with it, keep with Dunelm Mill.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

My secret is Im a fabric lady for Dunelm Mill so I get 15% discount! Which is great but I dont want to have to keep working there if the sewing keeps going this well so in the long run ill loose that 15% discount. I think ill just put the cost I get it at to the rep and see how it goes. You never know...
                  Thanks for your help guys and gals.

Comment

Briony look at Chatham-Glyn fabrics, they offer some great fabrics and very reasonably price. They also sell workroom items.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi i think Dunelm Mill have such huge buying power they can sell the fabric cheaper than we can get it trade ,although last time i spoke to their rep he said that they were no longer supplying dunelm
                      I find it so infuriating when this happens especially when you have invested a lot of money in their books and samples ,we do make a point of asking reps if they supply this store if they do we tend not to open accounts with them
                      what is also maddening is when people borrow your books and then say they can buy the fabric cheaper on the internet

Comment

I always keep an eye on Dunelm to see if they're offering feather cushion pads at a special price - you can often get them there cheaper than trade (and I can't see any discernible difference in the quality), so I try and stock up when they're cheap. I also tend to buy one off cushion pads in unusual shapes and sizes from them as they take up so much space in my stockroom if I buy them in bulk quantities. But a note of caution - always make sure you know how much you can get them for at trade before you go into Dunelm, as I have sometimes found that the standard ones are much more expensive when they're not on 'special'.

Jackie

Comment

Jackie it's also sometimes worth checking on line, a couple of years ago they were selling 24" feather cushions for £1.99 each reduced from around £5. In the shops they were still selling at full price!

Andrea
                          Regards

Andrea

Comment

Many thanks Andrea, I'd never thought of doing that - the beauty of it would be that I wouldn't have to drive there to get them! I'm still reeling from transporting two large bags of Dunelm polystyrene beads home a couple of weeks ago; to say that their bags aren't very good is an understatement. You can tell where my car has been within a ten mile radius because of all the stray beads that keep popping out ... of the boot, the glove compartment, inside my umbrella - you name it! Perhaps it would have helped if I hadn't tried to stuff my daughter's cello in the car at the same time!

Jackie

Comment

Hi Briony,
                              Guess you've met the rep by now, (was it Vanessa?)
                              Think their carriage charge is excessive but the fabrics are pretty cheap and customers seem to love them. (Their new image is very stylish) I joined their book club, around £45 per month and you get all their books ( which works out a lot cheaper than buying the odd one).
                              Most people wouldn't know whether it was cheaper in Dunelm or not and you really need to be making some money on fabrics. Why not invest in a small number of books to show your customers. You won't need to sell that much to make a profit, hangers are usually cheaper than books. I started with about 10 hangers from Seamoor fabrics and sold them to death!
                              Anne

Comment

Working...
                              X