Prestigious Bastille fabric - look out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestigious Bastille fabric - look out

This is a lovely embroidered faux silk stated as 137cm wide. However, the embroidery does not go up to the edge so when you come to join widths you only have 111cm of pattern to match which increases the number of drops you need to buy. No indication of this is given on the swatch or when you place an order.

Manufacturer states this is "within their expected tolerances" so no compensation given.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Prestigious Bastille fabric - look out

Thanks Louise. I think I already experienced this one. Customer supplied their own fabric, when it turned up only 2/3 of the width was usable. It didn't join too well either. It was only later that the customer told me it was a Prestigious fabric (which I could have supplied).

Think they should draw attention to it in the details in their Price List (as they do with the appliqué fabrics).

Sue.

Comment

Hello Louise and Sue,

I have struggled with a few prestigious fabrics.... one was embroidered and, like Louise's, it left considerably less fabric once joined. Can't remember what it came down to but it was a pain. A second had to be joined an eighth in as the pattern went beyond the selvedges. Even layed side by side there was a good 2.5cm of pattern missing and that was before you'd even considered a 1cm seam. Anyway. worth asking for a working sample in future before calculating fabric requirements in future. The bad thing is then going to the client and saying they need more fabric because of these issues or maybe we just tell PT we'll steer clear until they mark the fabrics more accurately? What do other people think?

Comment

I am quite disappointed about how often this seems to happen (with various suppliers) as they are after all designers/manufacturers of furnishing fabric. Surely planning joins, patterns, seam allowances should be part of the design process?

If it was was made by an artist or textiles person who designed it simply as an attractive piece of fabric then you wouldn't expect them to think about seaming up panels etc.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise
          I am quite disappointed about how often this seems to happen (with various suppliers) as they are after all designers/manufacturers of furnishing fabric. Surely planning joins, patterns, seam allowances should be part of the design process?

If it was was made by an artist or textiles person who designed it simply as an attractive piece of fabric then you wouldn't expect them to think about seaming up panels etc.
          My sentiments exactly Louise...............this has happened to me very recently, you probably know that if you have read my post................they really ought to know better.........
          Sharon

Comment

Or if it's a limitation of the embroidering process they should at least note it on the samples and price lists.....
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi is this the same for all prestige fabrics? I have just received an order for sark in russet I have not placed the order yet as it is out of stock until 19th december (customer wanted them before xmas) so i will be confirming with the customer if she still wants to go ahead with this fabric or choose something different.
              Karen

Comment

Hi Karen

No, it isn't the same for all Prestigious fabrics - Do you have a trade account with Prestigious?

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I have had the same problem regarding width due to the pattern not going up to the edge. Prestige sark luckily my client only wanted tripple pleat dress curtains so i was ok.
                  Karen

Comment

Interesting (and disappointing) - I see this is another embroidered fabric - I found it on this site http://www.kingdominteriors.co.uk/ca.../fabrics/Sark/ with the comment "This is a machine embroidered fabric and the side repeat for an exact pattern match is 111 cm although the fabric is 137 cm wide." So, either this supplier has had this issue and is trying to help future customers, or Prestigious print it SOMEWHERE!

I wonder if it is something to keep in mind with all machine embroidered fabrics? My fabric, Bastile, is not listed as a machine embroidered one so does not have this warning anyway!
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Prestigious Rhapsody - a machine embroidered polyester - had this problem, so perhaps it is wise to assume the same for other machine embroidered fabrics. However, I have some Prestigious Typhoon at the moment which only has a selvedge of 5-6cm, and this matches up fine.

Sas

Comment

Just started working on this fabric and the useable width is actually 133cm so not too bad. I think I have actually bought too much now as I allowed an extra drop. However, I would much rather be in this situation than not having enough fabric! Someone else ordered this for me but they couldn't find anything in the price list about useable width......
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi All,

Was just having a look through the new Prestigious Price List and found the following under Important Notice:

Please note that embroidery fabrics have a useable width and the embroidery does not run the full width of the piece. Please account for this when ordering fabric.

And as I type this I have just checked the 2008 price list and it also says it in there too!!

I nearly had an issue earlier on in the week, but thankfully was informed of it when I phoned to check stock.
                          Kindest Regards,
                          Karen

Comment

So I guess we have to remember to ask how much useable width there is on a per case basis.....
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

You would hope this information was also flagged at their end so perhaps they should check with customers ordering the machine embroidered fabrics that they have taken the usable width issue into account. It would save a great deal of confusion. I wonder if the usable width alters from batch to batch or if each fabric has it's own consistent usable width. If it's the latter, why not publish it just as you would a pattern match? Confused!

Comment

Working...
                              X