Blind, Curtains & Cushions - Joining patterned fabrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind, Curtains & Cushions - Joining patterned fabrics

On flicking through the latest book by M&D I came across an interesting piece on joining patterned fabrics, Blinds, Curtains & Cushions, page 94. The book suggests joining patterned fabrics without using pins, but a simple fold and adjusting and aligning the pattern as you sew. I know some members here slip stitch patterned fabrics before joining, but after reading this piece, doing it this way without pins or slip stitching makes perfect sense.

The idea is similar to the thread posted by Penny a few months ago; see here the top fabric is creased and lined up with the pattern on the bottom fabric, you then turn the crease out and sew in the ditch of the crease, folding and checking you're on line as you sew..

The picture in the link shows the fabric being creased and then the sew line is on top of the crease.
    MyDecozo Admin

Re: Blind, Curtains & Cushions - Joining patterned fabrics

This is how I pattern match and sew seams. It takes a bit of practise, and some fabrics can be really problematic, so I always sew a short length and check before carrying on.
    Regards
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

As do I, until today I am working with Prestigious Dahlia, 48cm repeat (tho their price list says 43) Anyway I can get one part of the pattern lined up with a 3cm seam allowance but another lines up at less while another doesnt match at all. Is it acceptable to have a wavy seam allowance so I can match the pattern all the way up, It is an embroidered fabric... or should I have parts of the pattern hidden in the seam whilst others are not meeeting at all ...& No, I cannot afford to move the joins in as there are only 3 patterns across the width
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

I also, fabric permitting, pattern match at the machine whilst sewing - I don't pin first.

Mairi, I think it is more important to have a straight seam. The seam will be mostly hidden in the folds of the fabric. Embroidered fabric patterns often aren't very straight!
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for that confirmation Pen. The thought of squint seams really goes against my grain. Pardon the pun
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

Working...
          X