Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for making tailored loose covers

Hi all

I've been asked several times by clients about making tailored loose covers for sofas but I've not had any training and have been too nervous to take any on. I've decided it's time to get some skills and will probably start safely by re-covering something for myself. I've read all the posts on here about courses which I am going to look into. However in the meantime, can anyone recommend any really good books on the subject?

Many thanks
    Carol

Re: Books for making tailored loose covers

I have several books on loose covers and I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend any of them to teach you to a professional standard, although some of them are okay for someone making their own covers and they do have some hints and tips. I do run a two day course on this.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I have a couple - although just for personal interest, I don't do covers for paying customers. Got them from Amazon.

"Slipcovers & Bedspreads" by Sunset Books - photos dated but detailed information for various different styles of furniture including how to measure and calculate fabric requirements.

"Make It with Style - Slipcovers" by Donna Lang - info on measuring and fabrics, techniques etc. and also 10+ specific projects.

They are both American so imperial measurements.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

when I said I couldn't recommend any, it is because I personally don't like the methods that are used, although there is nothing wrong with them for the home sewer. It is just that to make a cover for a client, you can't keep refitting the cover as it is made, as you won't normally have access to the furniture which is often shown in books, or it says to make a pattern, which again, I personally don't think is necessary for one piece of furniture (although I make a pattern for a set of dining chairs, for example). But a several of the books show a range of furniture styles and different methods of making so you need to find one that suits
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison

Comment

Thank you Pen and Louise.
          I have ordered the Sunset Books one (so cheap on Amazon!). I'm planning on booking myself on a course for later this year but wanted something to have a good read of beforehand.

Carol

Comment

May I suggest you do a loose cover course with Sue Hazell, her method is tried and tested and is amazing to learn. I have done it, but sadly not used it as every time I do it and have done it twice because I wanted to refresh my memory and then been too busy to do anything. I am in the process of ordering some calico at the moment to just practise on an old sofa at home. It's lovely at Sue's in deepest Oxfordshire and its a lovely day out with nice food and company , thoroughly recommend it

Comment

Or you can come and do the course with me! A two day course which covers all aspects to make a beautiful tailored cover, with a small group and I do a lovely lunch as well!

If anyone would like details let me know.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison

Comment

Working...
              X