Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Curtain Book

I would like to recommend.
    The Ultimate Curtain Book by Isabella Forbes.
    This is a Comprehensive Guide with projects and sewing techniques nice and glossy as well, with lovely pictures.

Originally published in 1993 as The Complete Curtain Book.

Eileen.

Re: The Ultimate Curtain Book

Hi Eileen

My curtain books are pretty dated now, and don't in clude more contemproray curtain or blind looks
    would you say this one is up on current trends?

thanks

Comment

This is quite an old book and some of the instructions have been superceded by current best practice. (i.e. bar tacking Roman Blinds instead of stitching along the rod pockets). However it has some stunning photos and some fairly unusual treatments so it is definitely worth getting, even if you have to adapt the instructions occasionally. I have used mine a lot, and it is starting to fall apart. A bit controversial - but I am not a big fan of the M & D Encyclopedia , I find the instructions wordy and sometimes not right, as if the instructions were written without being tested...
      Sue.

Comment

The Ultimate Curtain Book - Originally THE COMPLETE CURTAIN

I do have to say I just adore the photographs in this book. Even the front cover asks you in.

I ordered in on Eieleen's recommendation and it came yesterday! I'm always a sucker for a book I don't know that is recommended. First printed in 1993 as the Complete Curtain Book it was reprinted in 1994 under the Reader's Digest banner. Just had a client come to collect finished curtains who is thrilled enough to order more and has fallen in love with a few of the ideas in this book so it has already paid for itself.

As Louise says the methods are very much 'traditional' - eg. Its only mention of EYELET is in the glossary and reads as follows.....

Eyelet
        A white cotton fabric, embroidered with open designs, eyelet is very useful for both lightweight curtains and for unlined shades.

I don't think you'd rush to learn methods from this book if you were working with contemporary clients wanting uber modern minimalist schemes but, as most of my work is traditional, I think I've found a beautifully photographed book to show of treatments to clients.

Hope that helps

Thank you Eileen.

Comment

I like this one, too, although I don't always use her techniques. If you do follow her instructions, you'll get a perfectly decent pair of curtains, and the trimmings bit is lovely! Use it a lot to give people ideas, and me more interesting things to sew.

Comment

im trying really hard to resist the temptation to buy another curtain book to add to my quite large collection.............but your not making it easy.....
            sharon

Comment

OK, Now I think I've just got to get this book!
              Am I really that out of date, as I still stitch in rod pockets (I did for the last Roman I made!- just last month!)

Does anyone know of a more up-to-date book that does feature more contemporary finishes? and all updated techniques on traditional looks.
              thanks

Comment

I've got this one as "Homes & Gardens The Complete Curtain Book", published in 1993. Some lovely ideas, but the techniques are more suited to the home sewer as they are a bit labour intensive.

I recently had to make 3 box pleated valances (1x158" & 2x86"), making them the Isabella Forbes way would have taken a month, rather than 3 days it did take me.

But it's still nice to compare instructions, rather than take as gospel the instructions of 1 book.

Mandy

Comment

Working...
                X