Lampshades - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampshades - help!

I wonder if any of you can shed some light on my predicament ( ha ha ) .
    I made a lampshade a while ago for a rather large glass base (60 cms high) . It looks fab but I can see the fitment when sitting down and I don't want too. I got the kit and I think it might be one for a pendant not a table lamp base. I then got an extender thing to raise the shade, hoping to turn the shade upsidedown but there is a ring which comes too close to the bulb. The shade is a tall drum shape 30 cms diameter by 40 high.
    Some shades I have noticed have a wire frame which allows the bulb to be in the middle rather than at the bottom.
    Sorry it's quite difficult to explain this properly, I can't get my head round it.i don't mind doing it all again so that I can achieve the look I am after.
    Can anyone help?
    Jane

Re: Lampshades - help!

There are some frames where the centre fitment can be swung up or down allowing for a hanging or on a lampbase. Try Martin Dannell
    Janie

Comment

I got my kit from needcraft which is the shop from Martin dannelle , these I think are suited for a pendent rather than a tabletop.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	115104
        Take three !

Comment

Hi Jane, unfortunately you will see the fittings unless your lamp is at the right height for when you are sitting.....take a look at this link; http://www.pinterest.com/pin/530932243542777879/ I had the same problem with a standard lamp & the same type of lamp kit you have used. I have taken some pics for you to show you what type of fitting you could use if you turn your lampshade up the other way....Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-16 18.12.20.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	115105 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-16 18.22.48.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	115106 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-16 18.23.10.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	115107

You will need to get the right size lampshade carrier to sit your lampshade at the correct height, as you can see this one is a bit too tall as it would be better for this shade to sit a little lower.
          Best wishes
          KarenS

Comment

I meant to say also that you will need to get a lampshade carrier that allows your shade to sit 1.5 - 2 inches below the bulb holder. You will need to measure the height of the lampshade from the duplex ring to the base. To do this you will need to place the lampshade on a flat surface. Next take a tape measure or ruler and measure the distance between the duplex ring and the flat surface the lampshade is sitting on. The shade carrier size you will need is this measurement minus 1.5 – 2 inches (4 cm – 5 cm). i.e. if the measurement is 7 inches you would use a shade carrier that is 5 or 6 inches. (They always seem to be sold in inches rather than cms!) Hope this helps. Love to know how you get on.
            KarenS

Comment

Thanks Karen I'm working on it and will post my resulting pic - many thanks jane

Comment

Originally posted by rafiki View Post
                Thanks Karen I'm working on it and will post my resulting pic - many thanks jane
                Great, cant wait to see it.
                KarenS

Comment

Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	115110
                  At last problem solved
                  Jane

Comment

Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	115111
                    Can't figure which way is up on my ipad!

Comment

Perfection! I sympathised with your original problem; it was the reason I stopped having anything to do with creating lampshades years ago. Now I really hate the low-energy bulbs that not only give off a poor light, but also have such weird shapes you just have to cover the bulbs!
                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by rafiki View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5221[/ATTACH]
                        Can't figure which way is up on my ipad!
                        Looks great Jane.
                        KarenS

Comment

Working...
                        X