Lampshade making?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampshade making?

Can anyone advise on lampshade making? I want to match a pair of lampshades with the curtains I am making, and will almost certainly have enough silk left over to do this. They are for a pair of table lamps (yet to be purchased) and I am thinking of a tapered drum shape covered in pleated silk.

Is this is a relatively straight forward DIY job (compared to making interlined curtains with swags and tails)? If not, are there people who can make up shades for you from material supplied by customers?

Re: Lampshade making?

I've made lampshades in the past, and they are very satisfying to do, but time consuming!

Very basically, you start by wrapping cotton tape tightly around the frame. You need to make a lining (in silk), not pleated, usually in two halves sewn together, long enough to go inside the frame and enough excess fabric to come over the top and bottom rings to the outside.

Three times fullness on the silk, lots of small pins, and fold in a pleat and pin it in place, and repeat all the way round. Fold the raw edge under at the end. Stitch to the taped frame, cut off the excess fabric, then pin the lining and bring the top and bottom over so that it covers the raw edges of the pleats. Stitch this in place, then glue or stitch a trim on to cover the stitches.

Easier than swags? Give me swags anyday But lampshades are enjoyable to do.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

i made one for my city and guilds quite a few years ago
      it did take some time but i was really pleased with the result
      lss

Comment

If you search the forums using the word lampshade you will find advice already here on making the type of shade you have in mind, and where to get the necessary supplies. Also lovely pictures from Bluebell in the gallery on a shade she restored.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Does anyone actually make lampshades on hereor would be interested in doing so? A client has asked me if I know anyone who makes scalloped bottom lampshades? I certainly would not want to attempt this at all!
          Yvonne

Comment

There are a few people out there making lampshades if you have no luck here....

Lampshades UK
            Caroline B
            Imperial Lighting
            Jokadirect
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise that's great information.
              Yvonne

Comment

Let me know what you need Yvonne, I do lampshades

Comment

hello,
                  Did you check in you tube for the lampshade maybe you get some idea?

best regards

maria

Comment

Using silk is ok but you have to be careful enough bout the color of the wall.it should be matched with the color of silk

Comment

Working...
                    X