Awkward beams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward beams

Some times you are faced with beams that are in the most awkward position. I find pelmets are one of the best methods to get round this problem

[attachment=0:1utm3udu]97.jpg[/attachment:1utm3udu][attachment=1:1utm3udu]27.jpg[/attachment:1utm3udu]
    Regards Dave and Sue

Re: Awkward beams

Dave
    What an excellent solution very impressive.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I hate to say this, but the pelmets look like they've been stabbed by the beam and are dying (I get a bit fanciful after a glass of wine). But beautiful work, and probably the only solution.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I agree ....impressive pelmets and beautifully made, I am sure...and probably the only solution....but I don't care for them either. There is just something about them having the beam stuck through them, its just does not seem right.

Enid

Comment

Beautiful work, but without seeing the windows naked, it's difficult to see what else could have been done. In the end, it's what the customer wants, and I can't see anyone going to so much work without customer demand. Some people just want pelmets. Oh, good.

Comment

Hi Pen, Enid and Nic,

I can understand that some people will not like the solution used, the simplest answer would of been a roller blind, but as these were both formal rooms and the clients wanted to make a feature of the windows.

The beams both finished on the reveal edge preventing the use of a pole as the curtains would have hung below the light line (now days the eyelet system could be used).

The options were either a covered track or pelmet/ valance treatment. As you can see the pelmet and banded valance was decided upon. With that choice we then had to decide whether to go below the beam only, which meant that in order for the pelmet/valance depth to be in proportion we would loose a lot of light, always a major concern of customers, particuarly to customers in old houses, which meant the only option to preserve the light and balance the proportions was to extend the pelmet/valance visually above the window and around the beam.

Just thought I would let you know how we ended up with the window treatments shown, every now and then you will come across difficult windows that will allways end in a compromise
            Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Oh, I agree Dave, we often have to compromise, and perhaps come up with a solution that is not the best visually for us, but satisfies the client. I recently had to cut a hole in a door curtain to accomodate a cat flap - it looks absolutely awful, but the client (and the cats) are pleased.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen,
                That makes me feel a lot better - I have a customer whose prized Bengal pussy has ruined all my (sorry her!) lovely interlined floor length curtains by weeing up them to mark her territory! We've been trying to think of a way to protect the curtains, but at the last count the only thing we could think of was to attach some shower curtain ... good grief ... hope she doesn't hear about the catflap idea! It's a real shame as she's a lovely customer: I just have to keep reminding myself that her cat is more important to her than the curtains!
                Jackie

Comment

Have you thought of suggesting she gets rid of the cat Jackie?!
                  Janie

Comment

Working...
                  X