Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gothic Windows treatments ideas pics included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothic Windows treatments ideas pics included.

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me some help with some Gothic windows.
    I have been asked to come up with some ideas for a Methodist Chapel built in 1873 that is being renovated and turned into a home. The pictures are for the master bedroom and are very tricky.
    I have suggested aysymetric swags to follow the shape at the top of the window with a pair of Italian strung curtains underneath they would be attached to a piece of wood that has been cut to the shape at the top of the window. As you can see the centre window is much taller than the two outside ones with not much space either side for stack. The side windows are approx 244cms long and the centre one is 306cms from their highest point. This house is littered with these windows so what ever I come up with will probably be replicated in some fashion or another.
    God I wish I was an interior designer sometimes I think customers want us to work miracles.
    Or am I just being too self limiting. The customers really want to be able to see the windows however I think that it will be a compromise between practicalities of fitting and privacy issues.
    Any advise would be very welcome. x
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Gothic Windows treatments ideas pics included.

penny why dont you put sheer blind up to point where windows or all even and leave top half of the arches with no dressing thats probaly rubbish good luck with that its nota easy one esther

Comment

Esther,

Please don't be so harsh on yourself. We'll have to get Philip to ban you from putting yourself down!!! That is an idea that has been used by many designers, many times for this type of window, so you can't say your idea was rubbish!!

I'm sure, however, that this topic will develop over time and that someone will come forward with an amazingly original idea that will make us all go weak at the knees and make us wonder why we didn't think of it. Then, we'll all use it.

Good luck with these. Perhaps fixed heads, made up of hand made pleats, dressed to the sides?

Comment

Morning Penny,

How about Rman blinds with the top of them shaped to fit into the recess, they would only be able to pull up as far as it is straight but by the looks of the view you would only be loosing a little bit of sky - but at the same time keeping the shape of the window.

Perhaps some braid / something similar that make the blinds feel a little more gothic in design would look good.

What room is this for - will they be using what ever is put up? perhaps you could dress the shape of the windows with Lamrequins if nothing is actually going to be used?
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

Hi Penny

If you made Roman blinds shaped to the top of the window, you could mirror that shape by having the bottom of the blinds fan-shaped, i.e. with 2 half-width rods across each section and 1 cord up the middle, so the bottom of the blind falls naturally into a fan shape. It doesn't actually appeal to me but I must have seen it in a magazine, I think.

Angie

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. These windows are actually in the master bedroom. The customers don't want anything "fussy" .
            What they actually want I don't think can be achieved. They want privacy, don't want to cover up the beautiful shaped of the windows and don't want any blinds inside the windows. I feel that they will have to make some kind of compromise., in actual fact the windows really go from floor to ceilling which makes privacy the most important priority.
            They have gone away for Easter so I still have a few days to put something together.

Thank you again
            Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Evening all
              Just wanted to update you on the outcome of this particular design dilemma. I spent several days researching the best way to deal with these windows.The customer came to see me last week and I presented her with some ideas in the form of rough sketches, pictures and also technical information about bottom up blinds.
              I suggested blinds inside and voile on the outside to dress the window. She absolutely did not want blinds in any shape or form inside or outside the windows. So then I suggested that we follow the shape of the arch and put curtains on the outside which would be Italian strung with beautiful hand made pleats and some kind of trimming to give a feeling of opulence and also make the room dark enough at night to be able to sleep as this was a priority.
              I explained quite gently that there really needed to be some kind of compromise between not covering the windows up so you could see the shape and the limitaions of how to fit anykind of hardware and making the room dark enough at night to be able to sleep.
              The customer did not seem delighted with any of the suggestions that I came up with but agreed that they were very difficult windows to design for. She went away to talk it thru with her husband.
              A week later (last Tuesday) she phoned again to ask if I had come up with any other solutions for their windows and it would probably be a good idea for me to visit again to remind myself what they looked like. I asked her if she had discussed the windows with her husband and she said yes and did I have any more ideas?
              I agreed to another visit next Tuesday morning (reluctantly), however she phoned again this morning to say that they did not want to go any further with the windows and that they were too hard to do.
              I do feel a sense of disapointment and frustration because I wasn't able to give the customer any kind of solution to the design of their windows.
              But I also feel that they didn't know what they wanted.
              You win some you lose some........
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Penny,
                I think you are taking a very pragmatic view of the situation. It does sound like the customer was expecting the impossible from you. She obviously has no idea at all of a window dressing solution and though that you could 'magic' some brand new solution from thin air. I do think that, perhaps, you've had a near miss here. As she is so unsure, then nothing that you crafted would have satisfied.
                Perhaps, when she lives in the space and gets the 'feel' of it she will be more practical is her request and amenable to (sensible) suggestions. Don't feel you've failed. It is her loss.

Comment

Thanks Jules
                  You are probably right and my gut instinct was to steer well clear however I thought it might be an opportunity to do something different and to stretch my capabilities a little.
                  None of us like "not getting the job". Anyway I have a never ending work load at the moment so just as well.
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Instincts would be telling me to steer clear of this type of customer who is possibly just getting you to give her ideas and solutions only to go elsewhere !

You have done your job Penny and you have done it well, politey and considerately. This customer could waste some of your very valuable time. As Jules has said ,, her loss!

Comment

Hi Penny,

This is my first 'post', so be gentle with me ! I would be interested to know if you have passed by these windows since, & have noticed if they have been 'dressed' ...............

I had this with a client in Hampshire. I did all the pattern making, planning etc, as you say, what she would get from an 'interior designer'. She then messed me about with indecisions & have often wondered if she had someone else in. luckily, I kept hold of the pattern of the arched window, even tho' it's no use to me, I did all the leg work & was not leaving it for the next person to use !

ps . did you see the arched window drapes the 3 members did on one of my courses last month .......... thanks for the kind feedback girls !

Sue Hazell Cert Ed. PCE

Comment

Working...
                      X