Horizontal style window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal style window

Can anyone come up with some ideas on the Window on the picture attached, its not very clear, but top of window to ceiling is about 43cm, there is a radiator below with window if you can see it. Its very wide, can take about 2.5 widths either side. I was thinking of putting curtains up but would you go short to the rad or longer length, i would like the longer length myself but i don't what to take the look off the window.Hope someone can help

[attachment=0:3jwz48jw]IMG_1825 2.jpg[/attachment:3jwz48jw]
    Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Re: Horizontal style window

Hi Jan
    I think I would put a roller blind in a neutral colour or a Roman on the outside, because the window is all about the beautiful view and curtains would detract from that. Long curtains would look too heavy and short curtains too much when open. I have come across this type of window quite often and come to this conclusion. If you have other windows in the room then you can dress them in normal way. Hope that helps.
    Janie

Comment

Hi Jan,

I would be more inclined to go with a Roman Blind for this window. I would mount it on the outside of the reveal and work it so that it folded up to the top of the window. This way you would not loose any of the view or the look of the window. The blind would also take up some of the space above the window and you do not have to wory about the radiator below.
      I am not sure how wide this window is but, as it is not too long, you may be able to get away with making one long blind.

Comment

Yes the idea of a Roman Blind crossed my mind and to put it outside the reveal, the width of the window is 350cm plus outside the reveal, yes the main idea is not to lose the shape of the window. I was just worried in case the roman blind would be too big.....i don't like the idea of putting 2 roman blinds here!!

Its also the only window in the room, and yet its bright. This is my first window shaped like this and i have dressed many.....

Thanks for your thoughts, Jan
        Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

I would consider a roman as well, but juts make sure that you get the appropriate heading rail. Its going to be a very wide roman and I would go for a rail suitable for a heavyweight roman.

Enid

Comment

I would also go for a Roman on this window, depending what the room is used for it could also just have a pelmet of some sort to frame the window if a window covering is not essential to block that lovely view.
            Lainy

Comment

I have come across this window before and made a Roman Blind and it looked good, placing the blind above the window, working out how far your blind will drop when folded up, makes the window look taller. I did a cascading blind - see below photo

[attachment=0:25be96kb]house2.jpg[/attachment:25be96kb]
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

Hi everybody, thanks so much for your help, yes i will suggest the roman blind, looking at the picture kathy, it gives me a great idea of what it will look like. (by the way your blind looks great).
                If she goes with it, i will post the finished window picture up here at some stage, but she does not have any fabric yet, just looking for ideas. so hopefully she will give me the job - as there would be plenty of work as the whole house needs to be done - fingers crossed.
                By the way its for a bedroom. Again thanks for you help, this forum has help me so much, i would be lost without it......

Jan
                Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

Kathy - out of interest - can you remember how wide your blind was and how many cord runs etc. you used? Was it on a wooden batten? I have been checking around and can't find anyone that makes a roman track longer than 3.1m which is obviously too small for Jan's customer.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise

That blind was 1.6 m long and I railroaded the fabric, the track was supplied by me from Merrick and Day cut to length, cannot remember how many cord drops 4 or 5? However the blind I am working on now is 1.8m with a drop of 1.65m in Crushed velvet and yes I am having kittens!!!! The track is Hallis Hudson I think (I got a track man to fit it bearing in mind the weight and size of blind it would have to hold) and he has put 5 cord drops on. (I do hope that is enough)

For Jans blind she could make the track up to what ever length she wants, using components from M&D, therefore she can put more cord drops in? try and choose a light fabric?

What do you think?

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Both Decorquip and Evans offer Roman Blind tracks up to 6m wide!
                      Yvonne

Comment

Would they supply just one? (if that's what Jan needed). I checked my Decorquip catalogue and their made to measure roman tracks stop at 3100mm and it looks like you have to buy 10 of the 5800mm rails at a time to make your own from components. Perhaps I have an old catalogue?

I don't have an Evans catalogue so that is interesting to see they do longer tracks.
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I use the Hunter and Hyland roman tracks. Not sure what size they go up to as don't have the catalogue to hand, but they do a joiner which can be used for straight or bays. We used it for a square bay a while ago and it was very sucessful. It means that all three blinds go up and down together but it was difficult to get into the bay due to furniture so it worked very well in that situation.
                          Janie

Comment

Hi all, just talking about the rail, yes i think i better check to see if i can get a rail that length, or as Louise suggested make one up, maybe if i can't, i might suggest to my client i could do it with using the wooden batten, as it is the only window in the house like this, the rest are narrow and long....i think that might be my best bet.....i will suggest going for a lightweight fabric also.

Jan
                            Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

I think you should be able to do this as the drop is not going to be huge - as long as there are enough cord drops and you can get long enough rods etc. If the dimensions were transposed and the customer asked for a fairly narrow blind with a 3.5m drop you probably wouldn't hesitate.....

Please let us know how you get on......
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X