Ideas for window dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for window dressing

Ideas on how to dress these windows please. My client likes valances / pelmets but I'm not sure I think they would make the wall look shorter with the ceiling coming down the way it does.[attachment=0:18s8nl8a]Seams Perfect 026jpg.jpg[/attachment:18s8nl8a]
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Ideas for window dressing

What about curtains or romans with an attached valance so you get the look, but do not use up so much of the space above the window? Perhaps with a trim on the hem of the valance to make it stand out?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

This is the bedroom below (It's an upside down house) after & before[attachment=1:2un0hzt9]Seams Perfect 032.jpg[/attachment:2un0hzt9][attachment=0:2un0hzt9]Seams Perfect 025.jpg[/attachment:2un0hzt9]
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

Those wall lights could be a pain as they will limit the width of any poles/rails you use.

I suppose you could give the illusion of more height with the use of vertical stripes. Some fab striped silks about, very dramatic.

I think you've got to be careful it doesn't look like the dressings just 'dangle' from the top of the windows. Somehow it needs the ceiling and the floor connecting (in my humble opinion). What about using those lovely scarf thingys that you put over poles - see gallery - with plush romans behind? No stack back then, so poles don't need to be so wide.

I'm not much use as tired, but Louise has already given some ideas. Will look again tomorrow. Sorry

Oooh. You could have those rails that take two romans. One fab one for night use with a simpler, sheerer one behind to filter light/give privacy if necessary, during the day as the bedroom is on the ground floor.

Comment

No... the second lot of pictures are of the bedroom before & after. Their are roman blinds below the swags. It's for the lounge I want the ideas. I wondered about having Brass Poles on which dress curtains covering the wall space would be hung but it might look daft to have a continuous(spelling ) brass pole around so much of the room
          Regards
          Mairi

Comment

Starting again. Yes. I think dress curtains would look great, as long as you can move those lights. Brass poles would lift the dark window frames, but perhaps check on metals used for other fittings in the room. Not v nice if sockets/light fittings/switches are chrome.

If you were to go down her route of pelmets, could they be shaped to emulate the rising up of the ceiling above each window? This wouldn't bring the ceiling down, would it?

Comment

Emulate...Did I not say in another post that I am NOT a designer
              Regards
              Mairi

Comment

You did but I think you all are. Curtain makers sew where they are told to sew, to a design they are given i.e. 2 pairs/x length/ this heading / that lining. You all spend time planning, working our correct proportions, thinking about light and other factors like the position of the lights etc etc etc. give yourself more credit for all of these things you do without even thinking about them.

I'm a self taught sewing person but I love it.

Comment

There so many combinations of curtains, valances, pelmets and blinds that one might put forward here Mairi but the one thing that none of us have is the knowledge that you have of both the whole perspective of the room and your clients personalities. Other important factors might be the direction the windows face. Does the sun rise into the room or set into the room or pan across the windows throughout the day? Can the single wall light be moved or is there a requirement that it stay where it is? I can see that the windows overlook the river and the landscape appears pretty flat . I could probably send you 50 designs for this room and in the end your client may not like any of them.

I think my advice would be to try to extract a reasonable amount of information from your client regarding their feelings on the matter of both internal decoration and fabric. Do they like soft lines with oodles of flowing fabric perhaps suggesting a slightly unkempt look, shabby sheik if you like or do they like crisp lines with ultra clean surfaces and no clutter. Dark wood everywhere and a continuous brass pole suggests ships cabin to me. They may be boating people and love the idea in which case you have a theme. If the pictures are anything to go by then your clients are very fastidious and clean. I wish I could help more Mairi but I fear i will not contribute what you want to hear.

From where I am sitting at my computer in my workroom only one point immediately springs to mind. The windows are so close together with little more than the required stack back available in wall space that my mind immediately conjurs continuous fabric and treating all the windows as one dressing. Continuous dressings to the head and continuous fabric when the curtains are drawn together. Should this happen then you are looking at continuous pole or continuous a valance or pelmet. The furniture shown in the room is classic and dark so you can maybe start to build up a list of words which fit the room (prerequisite in design work) start your list with two words "rich & warm"

If you have any thoughts on the design Mairi try to design it in two separate parts. "Shape and form" being the first. Do that always in black and white. You will confuse yourself if you try to add colour at this stage. Next do room colours with your client without talking about the design of the window treatment. The room albeit very rich in dark brown is very plain and needs rich colours not light colours and they can be replicated in other soft furnishings like cushions etc. If you think that the vaulting of the ceiling brings the top of the wall lower consider a subtle woven vertical stripe this will help to stretch the perspective a little.

Good luck Mairi If you have any more pics of the room and an enlightening description of your clients likes and dislikes it would be good to have a stab at the design but at the moment there is just not enough information.

Comment

Hi Mairi

Quite a challenge - but I would avoid putting a continuous pole around the room for two reasons.
                    One - it will literally cut the room in half with the vaulted ceiling in one half and the rest of the room in the other. Two - the lights will get in the way of any continuous drapes. I would try to keep wall space between the windows to link the vaulted ceiling with the floor.

Look back in the gallery and view Louise's beautiful roman and swag. I think this would work very well, and then continue any patterns and trims used in the fabric in cushions (if the client is agreeable) to create a harmony around the room.

Sas

Comment

Another thought - if the client likes the look and feel of swags (like in the bedroom picture) could you think of something like a London or Austrian blind outside the recess, mounted on a pelmet board or similar. Then when it was raised it would still look rich and full but would give privacy when lowered. Perhaps with a nice trim or bobble fringe on the bottom?
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

It is a huge room. If you look at the bedroom photos and the sleigh bed which I would think is a king size that will give u an idea of the size of the room. The bedroomis on the ground floor with the lounge above. The curtains will never be shut..she wants to keep as much light as possible. i put romans under the swags in the bedroom for privacy but this house is secluded so not required for the lounge.

The house is always prestine. This is the 3rd lounge & the most formal. She likes flouncy pelmits in the bedrooms as u might c from her own room but I think for this room...well I know she wants to keep the curtains of the window as much as possible. They just need a bit of drape to warm the room...don't u think. Oh by the way this house is presently on the market for offers over £680 000 if any of you want to buy
                        Regards
                        Mairi

Comment

"Shabby Sheik"? I've heard of that as a painting technique, but I'm not sure how that applies to curtains and window dressing.

It's a wonderful name, conjuring up all sorts of images of an exotic ruler rebelling against the formal cleanliness of his middle eastern palace.

Please, please give us more information - I'm sure some of my clients could be very interested.

Comment

Hi quin

Shabby chic ... Done very well by the shop we al love to hate... Laura Ashley..

Welcome to the forum...

Philip
                            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

i would go for glamour in bedroom and make roman blinds out side the recess in a jewel colour to match the pink colour and i use would satin fabric with quite big pattern probaly interline them as well the chaise longue shouts glamour to me the living room harder is it got nice views because dont want block them why dont you try a lace fabric make a london blind(never tryed this dont know if it would work) or soft roman quite a lot windows for curtains but i am just begineer not much experience as everyone else

ether

Comment

Working...
                              X