Using software for window treatment designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using software for window treatment designs

I am looking to set up making window treatments selling direct to the end customer. In the NDA course there is the drawing of the window and possible treatments that could be made, but this appears a timely approach.

I've seen rendering that have been done using photos of the window and using software to put a treatment over the top to help the person designing the treatment ensure it is proportional etc and to give the client a good idea what the finished treatment will look like.

Do you any of you use this type of software? (I think I have seen two companies from USA, not aware of others)

If you don't, how do you get across your ideas to the client to clinch the sale? Do you just use magazines, and books like Curtain Inspiration for the styles and then the client has to visualise how that style would translate to their window?

Re: Using software for window treatment designs

Hi,

I don't use this sort of software. I have never found a real need for it. I have a huge library of curtain design books, and magazine cuttings. I usually discuss ideas with my clients using these, and often leave them with my client for a few days to think about. I have never needed any more than this.

Occasionally, I have sketched my ideas too. There are a number of books on the market that show black and white line drawings of designs. These can be photocopied, edited, and coloured in if necessary.

Sue.

Comment

I also have not found a need for software, books, magazines and samples, showing different headings, help with design ideas. I have done the NDA interior design course which has been useful for enabling me to quickly sketch scale drawings, however this is rarely called for. Like Sue suggests books like The Curtain Design Directory by Merrick & Day show sketches of many different designs.

Andrea
      Regards

Andrea

Comment

Hi,
        I have tried both of the american versions you mention, the trial versions. Although i did find them useful i couldnt justify the cost to purchase the software at the moment but would consider it for the future.
        Sharon

Comment

Thanks for your comments Sue, Andrea and Sharon

Obviously cost is an issue along with all the other set up and equipment costs. I think there is also a lack of confidence on my part, that a suggestion I could make, have the confidence to make to high quality will not look right and the software can seem to be an easy answer! I have seen plenty of comments gushing about using such software (in USA) but I don't think I have come across it being mentioned on this site for being used in UK.

Sharon, I can see that you are tempted by it - do you think it will make it easier to sell your services/products and/or increase selling price (eg easier to up sell with added trimmings etc) that could help justify the cost?

Comment

hi Ontrack,
            I have a copy of Studio, and although it's very good, the US windows seem to be very different to ours - much bigger and grander, and they go for very elaborate top treatments. I have tried to use it, and although I'm good with computers, the time it takes to make a rendering, I think, makes it not worth the effort. For the sorts of window treatments that I do, which are often more than just a pair of curtains, I find that the client has a neighbour with exactly what she wants, I can describe them, I have a sample to show or I can draw a sketch.

A lot of the 'pieces' in Studio are from the American patterns - M'Fay and others. And the standard window templates are different sizes to ours, so I was had to create all the windows as well.

Having said that, it was good fun to play with, so you might like to try the free trial version.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by on track

Sharon, I can see that you are tempted by it - do you think it will make it easier to sell your services/products and/or increase selling price (eg easier to up sell with added trimmings etc) that could help justify the cost?
              not sure which is another reason i hesitate

Comment

CAD drawing software costs a lot and if you were only doing interior design it would likely be worth the expense.

If however you only need to demonstate your drawing skills just do a sketch. Anything else - scale drawing + rendering should be charged at about £100 per drawing I would say. I have not yet had a client wanting the scale drawing but would not mind doing it as long I was paid. Agree with previous post Merrick & Day Design Directory can be used and you could draw details on top if client want the idea and only takes minutes.

Regards
                Karen Rhodes
                Karen Rhodes Design
                Pole Design

Comment

Oh Karen,

That's all well and good if you can draw! I have practised and practised and practised! I'm fine with a pair of scissors in my hand but give me a pencil and it gets really bad..... I would have loved to do fashion design but failed at the first hurdle - my inability to put my ideas on paper. I could create them in fabric but that was not enough...

Comment

Just out of interest, as I have never seen one of these design packages, I found this site in the US Dream Draper. While it looks interesting and fun - you can place designs on photos of customer's rooms, add specific packs like bedroom settings, M'Fay designs etc. etc. the basic package costs $700.00 in the sale ($1000 full-price). I think you would have to be very confident it was going to bring a lot of business your way. There is a 30-day free trial download though.........
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Oh my god..... but it is amazing.....

Comment

Oh yes that looks good....i have been searching for something like this, at the moment im just building up my business but very interesested in this as im an Interior Designer and this could work wonders for me, its something i will keep in mind. What i do at the moment is show my customers pics from the M&D Directory and from magazines etc.....Rosie believe me i can't draw either but i sometimes photocopy from the directory and go from there.

Thanks for the link On Track, Janette
                        Jan

Design & Curtain Studio

Comment

The other popular software is http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com Minutes Matter Studio.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                          X