Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pelmet

Help!

I am having a pelmet made to cover curtain track above a tilt and slide window/door. I was going to have it attached to the ceiling but have been advised that it might not look right. I would like to know if leaving a gap between the ceiling and top of pelmet would look ideal, or should I not leave a gap? Attached are a couple of photos. Please advise ASAP, I must decide soon, before it is made. Any example photos would be appreciated.

Thank you,

curtainlady[attachment=0:2y5qy3uc]no gap above pelmet.jpg.JPG[/attachment:2y5qy3uc]

Re: pelmet

Hello curtainlady - I think you'll find some of the members of this forum have already been talking to you over on the Sewing Forum! It's a small world isn't it!

I'm sure there will be others here who also have some suggestions.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Pelmet Placement

Hi,

I am having a padded pelmet made in a recess above a tilt and open patio door. I was considering placing it right at the top of the ceiling with short depth returns on both sides. I am rethinking it, and am considering having a gap between the top and the ceiling. I cannot find examples of pelmets in recesses above a patio door. I really want it to look perfect. If I did have a gap, would the top of the pelmet have to go right back to the wall, or would that be too difficult to do because it is in a recess? Please advise and if possible send a few examples.

I am including a couple of photos of the space and with a temporary pelmet with no gap.

Thank you,

curtainlady[attachment=1:2tks9lmz]right side.JPG[/attachment:2tks9lmz][attachment=0:2tks9lmz]49cm.JPG[/attachment:2tks9lmz][attachment=1:2tks9lmz]right side.JPG[/attachment:2tks9lmz][attachment=2:2tks9lmz]1old window.jpg[/attachment:2tks9lmz]

Comment

Re: Pelmet Placement

Hi Curtainlady,

What does your curain maker/pelmet maker suggest? Sometimes you need to see the whole of a space to make particular decisions. Knowing what you're being advised to have would help us put out two penneth worth in....

Comment

Can I ask what would be the benefit of having a gap above the pelmet? You have not got a lot of space as it is. Also, I am not sure what the third picture relates too - am I being thick??
          Julie
          Julie

Comment

Hi Louise,

Yes, a member of the Sewing Forum recommended this site!

curtainlady

Comment

I would take the advise you've been given to 'balance' the window treatment!

Comment

I guess it would be quite a deep pelmet if she wants to cover all the door frame. Could you shorten the pelmet to just above the window frame and then add a bullion fringe to the bottom of it? This would cover the frame without being to heavy. Or make a very flat curve and add a trim?

Julie
                Julie

Comment

Charlotte

If you look at the picture with the original wooden pelmet still in situ and imagine this as the gap you will see that it works.. The gap will help with treatment and allow a pelmet to cover the frame without looking top heavy.

Philip
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Rosie,

When the curtain maker came out to see the job, I didn't even think to ask about having a gap. The only issue we discussed was the size of the drop of the pelmet and the returns. It's only when I thought more about the drop and entered a discussion on a sewing forum, someone suggested dropping the pelmet. I haven't gone back to the maker about this idea yet.

I'm just getting more input before deciding and want to be sure about it before I approach her again.

Thanks,
                    curtainlady

Comment

Hi Julie,

The first and third pictures just show the right hand side of the recess and shows the amount of space between the top of the frame and the ceiling and also the old wooden pelmet which was attached to the ceiling.
                      The only reason I thought a gap might work is because it would look more "finished" and if I drop it, I could cover the frames totally and still keep the right proportions to the overall window. :P

curtainlady
                      Originally posted by Julie Evans
                      Can I ask what would be the benefit of having a gap above the pelmet? You have not got a lot of space as it is. Also, I am not sure what the third picture relates too - am I being thick??
                      Julie
                      Hi Julie,

That is a good idea.. I will consider that.

Thank you

Charlotte

I guess it would be quite a deep pelmet if she wants to cover all the door frame. Could you shorten the pelmet to just above the window frame and then add a bullion fringe to the bottom of it? This would cover the frame without being to heavy. Or make a very flat curve and add a trim?

Julie
                      Got it Philip, You are pretty good at this!

Thanks,

Charlotte

Originally posted by Schuhby
                      Charlotte

If you look at the picture with the original wooden pelmet still in situ and imagine this as the gap you will see that it works.. The gap will help with treatment and allow a pelmet to cover the frame without looking top heavy.

Philip

Comment

Can I ask you why you have decided to have a pelmet at all given the rather small distance from ceiling to top of window? Many curtain headings can be equally distinctive and add interest. Without a pelmet you could place a rail/pole lower down and not have this dilemma.

Comment

I hate working out proportions for pelmets, and always do,as you did, a template. Could you now attach your properly proportioned template onto a length of wood or a tension rod, and hold it up, leaving the gap, and let the client decide!!
                          Maybe you could shape the top of the pelmet?
                          Ali suggested a pole instead, a lovely chunky pole in recess brackets with hand pleated curtains would look lovely!
                          Julie
                          Julie

Comment

Hi Ali,

I decided against a curtain pole, (which is what I really wanted) because the window is a recess and I would not be able to have finials. I saw examples of poles without finials and I hated the look. Thanks for your input though.

Charlotte

Originally posted by Ali
                            Can I ask you why you have decided to have a pelmet at all given the rather small distance from ceiling to top of window? Many curtain headings can be equally distinctive and add interest. Without a pelmet you could place a rail/pole lower down and not have this dilemma.

Comment

Hi Julie,

I will do the template leaving the gap as you suggested and post a photo of that. Thanks for the idea! I am not keen on recess brackets. So a pole is out.

Till Later..

curtainlady

I hate working out proportions for pelmets, and always do,as you did, a template. Could you now attach your properly proportioned template onto a length of wood or a tension rod, and hold it up, leaving the gap, and let the client decide!!
                              Maybe you could shape the top of the pelmet?
                              Ali suggested a pole instead, a lovely chunky pole in recess brackets with hand pleated curtains would look lovely!
                              Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X