This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Gable windows

Please help I need your suggestions for these windows. Client does not want to lose any light. So I thought I would make curtains hung from ceiling & stacked back in wall space. The height at tallest is point is 293cm & shortest 105. Oops forgot to measure the length of track but that is coming tonight.
    Are curtains feasable on such windows & if not what other fabric suggestions have you all got form me....please[attachment=0:1sqeq12c]Turnbull master bedroom 2.jpg[/attachment:1sqeq12c][attachment=1:1sqeq12c]Turnbull masterbedroom 1.jpg[/attachment:1sqeq12c]
    Regards
    Mairi

Re: Ideas for Gable windows

Architects!!!

Comment

Not helpful, Rosie!!! I got dead excited a t having a response so soon
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

Curtains: Wouldn't they have to be fixed headings whatever type of curtain you used? Italian strung? Whatever you use it will cut out light.

Shutters: Wooden shutters/plantation shutters/shutter frames lined with fabric, double sided perhaps, hinged so they fold back in narrow sections and sit against the central wall when open.

Comment

Oh no, my worst nightmare,why do they make windows like these, do clients not think when they have houses designed?....sorry, no help at all...regards Helen

Comment

Shaped curtains that, when open, hang like a pair of tails back to back in between the windows, and when closed, cover the whole triangle? Have to have some form of cord sysyem, or they'll be foreever falling shut.
            Wouldn't know where to start, with a sheet and a lot of pins, I should think!

Comment

Do they need to be normal lined curtains or can you get away with italian strung sheers/voiles? What is the room being used for?

Comment

You could get bottom-up blinds made with shaped tops to fit into the triangles.........very clean and uncluttered.

I can't understand why people who like the softness of curtains/fabrics end up asking us to try and dress such 'architectural' and difficult windows........I'm sure the architect never intended them to be dressed at all......

I'm sure someone else made a pair of curtains for a pointed window and adapted the method for making pinch pleats for an arch - I can't find the post at the moment but will keep looking! There is a photo of the mock wooden window she made to practice making them in lining - can anyone else find it?????
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

It's a bedroom... I did think about bottom up blinds but you would have the cords visable against the glass...and I don't think that would be very safe with small children around. Lady as you can see is heavily pregnant with 4th child & eldest is not yet five. She is going to have her hands full so I wouldn't want her to have extra worry over child safety issues I may have created.

Yes I have thought about curtains with fixed headings but not exactly sure where the rings would have to go if italian stringing them...I guess it would have to be done with safety pins til I got it right
                  Regards
                  Mairi

Comment

You could use Roman Blinds that only pull up until the shaping starts. If you used a sheer fabric this would not cut out too much light. These are beautiful windows and not intended to be dressed I'm sure. Or could use those stand alone room dividers (the ones that concertina fold) which just stand in front of the window when required. These can be covered in clients choice fabric, or get them MTM from various manufacturers.

Sorry can't be much more help.

Good Luck.

Sue.

Comment

Hi

I nearly had a job like this to do, I suggested roll up blinds or romans that go up to the shape and then a fixed panel above. Customer found a company to make vertical blinds that were shaped, so didn't do the job in the end. That was no use to you at all, Hope you sort something out.

Kathy
                      K W Designs
                      Bournemouth

Comment

Silent Gliss do a panel fold system and I think these type of modern windows are ideal for a lot of the Silent Gliss systems as these are architect designed windows.

I dno not think it is fair for the home owner to put all the responsibility for the window treatment on a curtain maker once the windows are installed. The dressing and practicalities of the window treatments should be a consideration from the outset/design of windows. They will have to make a compromise I am sure. If it is curtains they are after the only way to not block light is to stack on the wall which does not look good.Sheers, italian strung would work.
                        If I were the home owner I would go for a modern panel fold system as it suits the modern styling better.

I am sorry but this is not your responsibility. You can only do your best and explain to the client all of this. Don't let them make you feel it is your fault please!!!
                        Karen Rhodes
                        Karen Rhodes Design
                        Pole Design

Comment

Thanks for all your replies so far... Karen the Panel System sounds like a very good bet. Does anyone have any pictures or web links which would help me with these. Are thos panels made by a particular company or can they be fabric panel with weight bars in the bottom?

Thanks again for all your ideas with this one...I would like to get this right as I hope to get the whole house out of it
                          Regards
                          Mairi

Comment

Luxaflex Duette blinds can be made to fit triangular windows, have no visible strings and can be top down or bottom up. They could have matching blind on the roof window too. Maybe there is a stockist near you who could advise? I would think anyone dealing with conservatories would have a triangular option.

If they wanted to soften the effect could you then create some sort of dress curtains or valance/swag which could be fixed in place with velcro or tacks?

This is the post where fleur tackled something similiar with a triangular window http://www.my.decozo.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1028 look right down the page for a photo.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

what solution did you finish up with for this window cus i have to do one if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X