Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a really basic book on cushions

Hi,

I introduced myself under new members and I do apologise in advance if I have posted under the wrong section.

I do realise that I am undoubtedly a real novice - to the extent where I have to think when I thread a sewing machine! I am also talentless. Nevertheless, I have the will to practise and and trying hard to achieve, er, something by the end of my current evening class (and I don't mean the suicide of the hapless teacher).

I am therefore in search of a good basic book on cushion making to assist me with the piped cushion that I am supposed to be creating currently. I can see that there are recommendations under the book heading but I cannot tell how basic these might be. Something simple on soft furnishings might also prove useful.

My ambition is to make a set of curtains for an exhibition pen for the Supreme Cat Show in Birmingham next year. They will be a gift for a friend's daughter. I also want to get to the point where I can finish all the seams beautifully!

Rachel

Re: I need a really basic book on cushions

Rachel

Have a look at this: zips in piped cushions Basic or advanced I'd say go for the M&D books and learn well from the start... The Maureen Whitmore book is also very good - Click here

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You might find you can borrow them from your local library. Then you'll get a chance to get familiar with them before spending hard-earned cash! I would recommend the Maureen Whitemore book as it has excellent illustrations and step-by-step instructions for all the basic skills that set the foundation for more advanced projects.

One thing I have learned is at the beginning of any new project always plan on paper, measure and cut carefully, then sew accurately. In the end this is always easier than doing something in a rush and finding that things don't fit together properly near the end of the project........(but then I enjoy pressing things and making piped box cushions so I'm probably a bit strange......)
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi there.

I can recommend two books:

The Practical Encyclopedia of Soft Furnishings by Dorothy Wood has a section on various types of cushions, but also covers lots of other things too, curtains, blinds etc. etc. and Cushions and Covers by Gina Moore which is pretty much what it says.

Both have simple easy to follow (with pictures!) instructions. Try E-Bay or Amazon Market Place to try and pick up second hand copies cheaply.

Sue.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations. I went for the Merrick and Day book which I have ordered from Amazon.

I have a feeling that I shall need to read everything in advance before I attend the classes so that I understand in advance what is expected. I frequently find it easier to play with the material and work it out myself. I expect that I am not alone in needing to learn in this fashion.

Rachel

Comment

Working...
          X