recessed dormer windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recessed dormer windows

Hi there, can anyone help me out! I have been asked to make a window dressing for a recessed dorma window with no returns and has an angle of 100cm from the centre to wall with a 83 cm drop to cill ,175cm wide( hope this make sense). The only thing i have managed to find out with reference to books is Italian stringing !??? I can see the concept but have'nt a clue, is there any other way i can dress the windows and if so how do i tackle the angles, address them as i would any other cutain heading? The window is north facing, lead lights so did not want to put in to much fabric as it can't be stacked to any sides.

Re: recessed dormer windows

Fleur

Click here for information on Italian stringing and you can also see how it's done.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Depending on the window, you might also want to consider dormer rods - they swing away from the window to 'open' the curtains. They look like this http://www.merrick-day.com/acatalog/Dorma_Rod.html
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Fleur can you put a picture of the window up?

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Have tried to put a drawing attachment but not sure how to get it from my file to the forum?
          I can't use rods as the ceiling is the same shape as top of window( simalar to a tunnel ).unless there is a rod that will go in at that angle ?
          I have tried a mock up flat static curtain but it would not draw back with the Italian stringing i had done, kept pulling away from the wall and leaving a gap, plus as there is no wall either side of the window, i am wondering the best way to tie them back.
          A blind would not work either as there is no horizontal bars,just a reverse ' V ' to top of window with a central bar, it has little openings that are cut to go with the flow of the ceiling, ( hand made windows!)
          I am now considering putting in more fabricThe client did'nt want bulk there as it is lead light window, north facing and mahogany so a very dark look without blocking all the light, plus not having any where to stack the curtains when opened,as the window is wall to wall.
          Did i realy say i wanted to do this for a living !!! Hope you can understand all this.

Comment

Fleur

When doing a post you will notice you have the option to upload attachments below the text box.. Click on the tab and browse to your picture, click it and add it.. Then click place in line and you're done!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Have tried again but get a notice to say 'the extension doc is not allowed' not sure what that means as it is only a diagram of the window that i have done !!! up and onwards !

Comment

You might need to rename your file or save it in a different format like .jpg - it sounds like the system does not like the .doc at the end of the filename.
                Did you do a drawing on paper and then scan it in, or create it on the computer?

If you get stuck email it to me and I'll have a go for you.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes, Louise is right, the file extension isn't noticed by the system. Needs to be a jpg.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

These are pictures of the trial curtain fleur made for her customer's dormer window

[attachment=1:2nftdga1]angled curtains 1.jpg[/attachment:2nftdga1]

[attachment=0:2nftdga1]angled curtains 2.jpg[/attachment:2nftdga1]
                    MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Completely different idea....have you considered a reefed blind instead? You could make the top part to fit the inverted V at the top of the window & fix with velcro, then have a section which rolls up and down over the bottom part of the window. You wouldn't need stack back space & you don't need the fixings which take up room like a roman blind. The blind operates using cord threaded through eyelets in the blind - which could be positioned at the base of the v section where the window become a square (if you see what I mean!) It would leave the inverted V section covered but it looks like it would be pretty much covered by any other heading you use.

Anyway, it's just a thought!
                      Jane

Comment

Thanks for that jane, Where were you a few days ago ha ha ! Very good idea.
                        I had spoken to the client and we did start of with the blind idea, but then she decided she would like some sort of fullness at the edges of the window ???? My mind went into overdrive as what to do for her ! What they see in their minds eye is not always what is easily transformed into reality. Always good to have input make you think, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X